Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a number of guns pass through my collection and, by and large, there aren't many that I miss. Definitely, I wish I could have kept them all but sadly that simply wasn't feasible. However, I have found that one pistol in particular I have regretted selling, and that was a P.38. So, I'm looking to add one back to the collections. Unfortunately, there are some things I don't remember so I need your help. I have a copy of Still's Axis Pistols but I couldn't find anything in there specific to my question.

I have found a byf 43 pistol for sale for a reasonable price but I'm uncertain about the authenticity of the grip panels. The seller says they are wood. But they look to me like they are Bakelite or plastic. I can see why he might think they were wood though. The base color is brown, like the typical brown bakelite panels, but they have a lot of light colored flecks, like you see on particle board. Are these original panels?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2013 - 2018
362 Posts
I have seen brown grips but I am not informed about the 1943s. Grips with flecks I've not seen. But in 1943 it wouldn't surprise me. I would say closely compare those with some authentic black ones and see how they compare.
Can you put pictures up for those with experience can take a look?
thanks
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts

·
Administrator
13,959 Posts
and there were many types of grips, some were made from mixtures of weird stuff.

we'd really need pictures to help better - but grips vary in mottled look to solid...

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
On first glance, they look right, but really need high detail look at the inside of both grips...

Marc

·
Registered
119 Posts
As Marc stated, those grips from the one photo look correct to me. There is a very wide variation in color and composition on P-38s late in the war years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Like the other posters have said, they look OK based on the one small photo and appear to match the grips on my one P.38 (a byf 43.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I thought they might be correct. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. I haven't actually seen the pistol in person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.