Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some better pics of my first Luger and holster markings. The serial# is 3960, parts are all numbered 60. 1938 is stamped on the barrel(chamber?) and S/42 on the toggle. There is no tool, and the single magazine(clip?) has a plastic base, with markings on the column of the magazine P08 and an eagle over 37. Is this a correct magazine? How available are the tools? What would you estimate the current value (luger + this holster) to be?
Any thoughts & comments are most welcome! Recommendations for caring for this would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Hal
Your 1938 S/42 Luger was manufactured in 1938 by Mauser for the German Military. What is the serial number of your Luger?
Look in the contents at the top of this section. There are several photo essays covering details of the 1938 S/42 Lugers.
Jan

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Hi Swede, nice Luger!! You said the serial number was 3960. Chances are there is a suffix associaterd with that number. Look on the front of the frame below the barrel, just underneath the 3960. There should be a script letter stamped in the frame. This letter is part of the serial number. A few 1938 Lugers had no suffix, in that case the serial number would be listed as 3960 ns (no suffix).

The black plastic bottom fxo magazines were shipped in the late 1941 and 1942 byf Lugers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jan and Frank, for taking time with me on this. I'm on unfamiliar ground and need all the help I can get. The Luger is at my office and I will check for the suffix Frank mentions. Jan, I plan on ordering your book. Does it include a section on care and maintenance?
Again, Thanks, Guys.
Swede1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Jan and Frank, for taking time with me on this. I'm on unfamiliar ground and need all the help I can get. The Luger is at my office and I will check for the suffix Frank mentions. Jan, I plan on ordering your book. Does it include a section on care and maintenance?
Again, Thanks, Guys.
Swede1

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Swede1,

Caring for a luger is not much different from other blued guns. Keep them lightly oiled and stay away from abbrasive materials. Don't store the gun in the holster. Wipe the gun down with an oily rag after handling it, to remove sweat/salt fingerprint traces.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Swede1,

Caring for a luger is not much different from other blued guns. Keep them lightly oiled and stay away from abbrasive materials. Don't store the gun in the holster. Wipe the gun down with an oily rag after handling it, to remove sweat/salt fingerprint traces.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Frank, or anyone: Sorry it took so long to get back.
There seems to be a script letter "k" (maybe an "h") under the serial number 3960. What is the significance of this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank
What is your reference to a "no suffix" 1938-S/42. I have researched this area for a long time (ns - b) without coming up with a firm answer. I'm not sure that I have ever recorded a ns 1938. If any other collector has a ns 1938-S/42, I for one would be interested in the information.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Hal,
* Mauser military P.08's were S/N'd in blocks of 10,000 pistols. First block was all numeric digits (1-10000); hence called the no suffix block by collectors. The 2nd block of 10,000 included a lower case, script letter "a" (1a-10000a), 3rd block was the "b" suffix block, and so on.
* Mauser began the Army P.08 contract in 1934("K" Date) with the first use of the no suffix block S/N's. By the end of 1937, they had run through the entire alphabet suffix letters ("j" was not used). Unlike other time periods, contractors, & contracts, Mauser kept right on numbering in sequence despite the end of a year (chamber date). So, they ended the 1937 production with the "z" block, no suffix block & into the "a" block.
* Jan Still gives the S/N range for a 1938 chamber dated, S/42(Mauser) coded P.08 as 400b-4500n based on S/N's reported as of the 1988 publication date of his book Third Reich Lugers (Pg. 40). The range is essentially the same today with minor exceptions.
* Your "h" or "k" block fits neatly into this range. It is an important part of the S/N identification of this pistol when coupled with the chamber date, Manufacturer, caliber, & barrel length description. This, then, uniquely ID your example from others which may have the same numeric S/N digits; but be of a different S/N block, etc.
* Your current magazine would be contemporary to a later '41 or '42 Mauser P.08. It is an improved, strengthen design likely bearing the code "fxo".
* The original matching magazine issued with your pistol would have been a coiled spring, blue tubed, side pinned aluminum based plug equiped, rolled/crimped sheet metal magazine bearing the pistol's full numeric S/N complete with suffix letter and the Army inspector's stick eagle/63 or sE/83 acceptance mark similar to what is located on the right receiver of your pistol. The 2nd mag would have been marked same as the above and also have a "+" to indicate it was the reserve( spare) mag.
* Trust this helps.

OBTW: Hiya, Don!! Good to see you at the keyboard posting again. I haven't forgot you. Will voice mail you soon.

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Don, you're correct (of course)!! I was looking at my cheat sheet and slipped a line. I was looking at the tail end of the 1937s. I have 1b or so for the first 1938s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.