Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone out there can shed a little light on what may have been on the right hand side of the slide of this neat little gun. If the light is just right I think I can see the letters AM on the lower part. It appears to have been 3 lines of something. Whoever removed it obviously wanted it off and really wasn't trying to hid the fact it was removed. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Download Attachment: MVC-001S.JPG
33.46KB

Download Attachment: MVC-002S.JPG
36.01KB

Download Attachment: MVC-003S.JPG
24.3KB

Download Attachment: MVC-004S.JPG
39.06KB

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
36.32KB

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have seen a serial number in the ground-off spot but on K serial number guns.

Rankin indicates that there were very few RVF PPKs, most all were PPs. He indicates that there was only one reported PPK with serial number 962394 marked as yours but with R.F.V.461 K.W. So, yours makes two.

Perhaps a Walther expert will pop up and shed more light.

Cheers,
Ted

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have seen a serial number in the ground-off spot but on K serial number guns.

Rankin indicates that there were very few RVF PPKs, most all were PPs. He indicates that there was only one reported PPK with serial number 962394 marked as yours but with R.F.V.461 K.W. So, yours makes two.

Perhaps a Walther expert will pop up and shed more light.

Cheers,
Ted

·
Registered
485 Posts
A couple of questions:
Is slide E/N or C/N ?
Are there numbers scribed inside the slide?

Depending on the answers: Maybe pistol had a misatched post-1938 slide,
and someone, realizing the extreme rarity of the pistol, were it matching,
was trying to modify a numbered slide, into a pre 1939 un-numbered slide,
and create a matching PPK-RFV. They also would have intended to alter
an E/N into a C/N, and to scribe the inside of the frame,
but quit after botcthing the slide grinding.
If the slide is not scribed with the last 3 digits from the frame,
or if it is scribed differently from what is typical,
then that would seem to verify my theory.
Sherlock,
aka Pancho

·
Registered
485 Posts
A couple of questions:
Is slide E/N or C/N ?
Are there numbers scribed inside the slide?

Depending on the answers: Maybe pistol had a misatched post-1938 slide,
and someone, realizing the extreme rarity of the pistol, were it matching,
was trying to modify a numbered slide, into a pre 1939 un-numbered slide,
and create a matching PPK-RFV. They also would have intended to alter
an E/N into a C/N, and to scribe the inside of the frame,
but quit after botcthing the slide grinding.
If the slide is not scribed with the last 3 digits from the frame,
or if it is scribed differently from what is typical,
then that would seem to verify my theory.
Sherlock,
aka Pancho

G

·
I have a good guess as to what was inscribed on the right side of the slide of your RFV PPK. I recently bought a RFV PPK #879101, RFV 151 KW, that has 3 lines of text in the exact spot of the ground-off area of your PPK. The text reads:
1st line = BAYERN
2nd line = STADTPOLIZEI
3rd line = BAMBERG
Each line is centered over the line below it, so the inscription creates the same shape as the ground-off mark on your PPK. I'm sorry I cannot post a picture, but you can see a picture of the inscription, thanks to Pancho, at:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Walther-Mod-9-Police-5x100px.jpg
Pancho pictures a Walther Model 9 with the exact same inscription that appears on my RFV PPK (the inscription that I think may have been on your PPK also).

My RFV PPK was one of a pair, both with indentical markings, taken from a police station during, or just after the war. The Veteran that brought back this pair of RFV PPKs supposedly left Germany 2 months after the war ended.

The BAYERN... inscription appears to be hand incised, and is in the white. It is very well done in all capital block letters, as you can see on the Model 9 that Pancho pictures. The inscribed number inside the slide of my RFV PPK does match the frame serial #.

If anyone has additional information about the BAYERN-STADTPOLIZEI-BAMBERG inscription please share with us. Did the Reichs Finance Administration have any connection with the Municipal Police? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry for responding so late.
Topic must have slipped off of my list.

Dieter:
Here is a C/N nitro proofed PPK with Ser. # on side of slide. Seems some research has indicated that while order for new E/N marking originated in 1939, that was not actually put into practice until 1940. The war began with the British declaration of Sept. 3, 1939, and, as I recall, the E/N proof began Jan/40, but, seems that somewhere (have been looking) some research indicates that the E/N was not begun until quite a few months into 1940.

Darn! Am unable to find this info in my notes. Will make a separate posting re. E/N usage dates and see if one of our fellow collectors can help.

Sam S.:
Re. Bamberg marking. I was once told marking was fake. I doubted it, but, since the opinion came from someone I respect, I kept my mouth shut so as not to stir debate. Seemed peculiar that one would go to so much trouble to put a fake marking on a pistol when both the marking, and the pistol, would be of so little consequence.

Sam, you need to get a camera and post a photo of your marking. Camera's have become an essential collector tool these days. Even us old timers have gotten on the ball. For instance, in this posting, a photo or your marking would lend great credibility to both of our pistols. Get a digital camera for Christmas, and post a photo. Cameras are no longer a pricey item--they have become quite affordable. It's the 21st century, post a photo.

Pancho
Download Attachment: PPK-LastCN-2Mags-1.jpg
118.87 KB
Download Attachment: PPK-LastCN-2Mags-2.jpg
110.29 KB
Download Attachment: PPK-LastCN-2Mags-3.jpg
94.89 KB

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sam....... If you were closer I would certainly want to buy you an adult beverage. Hope Santa brings you a camera. Thanks for your help. I guess the next question is why did somebody remove the marking????

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pancho...... Check out my post SPECIAL ORDER PP RIG. Do that holster look like I've just seen it??????? How many of them have we seen????

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pancho......Same place as this string...... German: German Mfg (non-P08)....Posted on 12/15/04. I think the holster will get your attention..........

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pancho...... John has actually written 4 neat articles about his thoughts on linking certain PPKs to the SS. I think they were in the last four issures. You need to read them.

Can we make anything out of the holsters???? Special something for somebody because of the 2 types of leather??? Like SS bowling league Champions of 1937???? I think this could be called REACHING in some circles......

To be a little serious, I have probably observed several hundred PPK holsters over they years and I'm sure you have seen more than that. It does get my interest up that these two came with numbered mags and slides. Probably just coincidence but perhaps someone else on this forum can shed more light.

Love a parade.

G

·
Dave, yes Santa did bring me a camera - however he did not bring me any talent for taking good pictures. I need some more practice. The attached PPK is one of a pair of RFVs brought back about 2 months after the war ended. Both PPKs have the Bayern Stadtpolizei Bamberg inscription. Hopefully one day, someone will have more information about the Bayern inscription. Thanks for the feedback.

Well....., I just tried attaching 3 pictures without success. The first picture kept uploading and uploading, and finally timed out. Sorry. I will try again over the next day or two. Thanks and happy new year.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sam..... Glad to hear that Santa came thru.... Will look forward to seeing the pictures........ Many thanks and Happy New Year......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.