Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Grade II Radom VIS

Download Attachment: RADOM 003.jpg
15.46KB Mod. 35 which is all matching including the numbered magazine. Serial number is 9704. Can you tell me the approximate date of manufacture? I never hear Radoms as being described as having a matching magazine. Is this unusual?

Download Attachment: RADOM 005.jpg
17.42KB

Download Attachment: RADOM 002.jpg
19.24KB

·
Registered
542 Posts
Aaron,
* Grade II? If a no letter prefix, wouldn't this be a Grade I, S/Var. 2 per Jan's Axis Pistols breakout??
* Anyway, my SWAG for a no letter #9704 = late in Nov., 1940. My linear production assumption with a restart in the late 2nd Qtr, 1940 suggests 11/27/40; but, so much was going on @ Radom that it is a wild guess to suggest a finite date for this early of a pistol.
* Example: R. Berger, in his booklet The Radom Pistol (1981), Pgs.96-97 states exact Quarterly Radom Production figures for 1940 & 1941 were found in Austria(Steyer) after WWII ended. The figures are 3rd Qtr,'40=1583 units, 4th Qtr,'40=10656 units, & 1st Qtr,'41=5221 units. The question arises how this Radom Production included the remaining (2000??)five digit Polish Eagle slide Assemblies into the time line, when German production of S/N 01 began, and was the Assy of these two groups sequential or intermixed. Mr. Berger suggests the large jump in the last Qtr.,1940 was as a result of the Germans using up & assembling all the unfinished Polish (Eagle-my word) Production. Did #9407 make the 1940 cutoff or was it pushed to 1941? Looking at the 12,239 units produced through the 4th qtr.,'40, your #9407 could fit with approximately 2000 Eagles. But, when within that 4th Qtr is still a wildcard.
* BTW: If yours is actually a Grade II, 3 lever, no slot, please report the letter prefix & we'll make another run at this for ya.
* Trust this responds with some insight to your question.

·
Banned
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there is no letter prefix. Many thanks for your very perceptive analysis of my pistol, so thusfar I take it that an exact classification has still to be arrived at. Your comments are most appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
msv,
* Thank you for your revised post.
* Be assured I was sincere; although, myopic in my observation power, when drafting my midnight reply. You have provided keen insight answering my subliminal discord with the pictures/description match-up precipitating my post's Grade/prefix questioning.
* Exact Radom production facts are scarce. Little survives in print to my knowledge. R. Berger, Col. R. Whittington, & J. Still's have published ranges. Al Hoffmeyer's tome is still in the making. To further learning, I wonder if we can squeeze this thread's topic a bit further.
- Above, I pose 3 questions:
"(A)...how this Radom Production included the remaining (2000??)five digit Polish Eagle slide Assemblies into the time line,
(B) when German production of S/N 01 began,
(C) and was the Assy of these two groups sequential or intermixed.

* Your insight & further reliable sources, and those of other fellow Forum members, on Radom production S/N break points for yearly & major Variation production is appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.