Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally collect WWI era 7.65's and know diddly about WWII collectible pistols. A gunsmith friend of mine handed me this Radom Vis and asked if I could do a bit of research on it. I believe it is a Grade II sub.var.2 ? I understand it is hard to date Radoms but I am guessing it was manufactured around 1941? I have seen several letter prefixes in photos and posts but the U prefix on this pistol is the only one I have seen. Is it fairly uncommon? Any replies will be appreciated.

IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0605.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice Radom. Have you taken it apart to see the other matching serial numbers yet? Very nice pistol. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have not. The owner has had it apart and says it has all matching numbers. I know from what I have read there should be inspection marks on the barrel etc.. I would hesitate to take someone else's property apart. My hope is to give him solid basic info. and things to look for if he wants to take it down again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice piece. The U variants aren’t all that rare. However, grips look good and the original finish is good with no pitting. If it’s all matching, the gun and mag alone are worth 12-1400. Full rig and 2 mags, 2k plus. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information on the "U" prefix and your estimate. I continued to read after I posted my initial questions because the owner isn't in a hurry for its' return.These really are stand up interesting pistols with a grand if tragic history. If it was mine I would love to take it to the range and compare it to the High Power.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tom,
* It isn't known exactly when the Radom plant produced this VIS; but an estimate would be in late 1943....say Oct. give or take a month.
* Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I would concur with Bob on the estimated date of production. And you also are correct with the variant. It appears to be a nice gun. If you are offered it, I would snap it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More info and photos for Grade II sub.var.2 Radom Vis

I took the pistol back to the owner today and told him about everything I found as well as the info you all were kind enough to share. He disassembled it and here is what we found. The serial number for the pistol is found on the under side of the slide but the numbers are very small ( as in tiny) and I couldn't get a picture. On the barrel there is an German military inspection or acceptance mark stamped on the left side of the lug next to another stamp I could not identify. I include a photo here but it is not good. I also include photos of the bore and a photo of the acceptance stamp found on the magazine. When I gave him estimates of what the pistol might sell for he was was surprised. He bought it from a neighbor when he was young so it isn't a heirloom or of any sentimental significance. He asked me to offer it it up for sale if any of you are interested. If none of you are I will put it on Gunbroker for him. I would rather see a serious collector take it than someone buying in hopes of a quick resale. Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 2.45.56 PM.png Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 2.45.56 PM.png

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The owner took it down and we went over it. I posted our findings and some more photos. Thank you for your interest.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Tom,
* Mag acceptance = eagle/189...the German Waffenamt inspector at the Warsaw arsenal plant. Pinned and period correct to this 1943 vintage VIS.
* Thanks for offering this to the Forum members first. Best to put this solicitation in the For Sale section of the Forum. What is he asking?? A sale request requires an asking price per Forum rules
* What would you rate the amount of original blue left?? I'd imagine this "condition" factor and whether expected large/small parts are correctly numbered will bear heavily on the final sale price for this piece.
* Trust this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob,
I am going to hazard there is 35% of the blue left distributed more or less evenly over the pistol accept for the front and back strap which are rubbed bare. I returned the pistol to the owner's keeping after taking pictures of the barrel and looking for the serial# number on the slide.
At this point I think my best course of action is to put it on Gunbroker. I will do this tomorrow or the next day. You are the first guys to know it will be posted so you can be on the look out. I do not want to violate any forum rules.
Again, I thank everyone for their interest and help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts