Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The American forces captured the Mauser factory and handed it over to the French in 1945. The French continued to follow the German secret code to manufacture guns post war from left over parts. They even made a limited number of svw 46 guns with the German slide code of SVW 46 from 1A to 500L. The last 500 guns were assembled in the 1950's and marked 1L to 500L. These last 500 guns did not have the French star proof marking on the right slide.

Interarms sold most of the French acquired guns in the 60's to early 80's and they were available in the USA.

The "L" block guns are very rare and I recently aquired the last two which are consecutive serial numbered pistols. I have original Interarms ads from the time and they did not sell svw 46 guns as consecutive numbered only the svw 45's.

The guns are completely unmarked except for the serial number on the backstrap. The grips are made of metal.

The "L" block non proofed guns are overlooked by many P.38 collectors but, in my opinion, an important chapter in the history and use of the P.38.

Download Attachment: SVWLASTpost.jpg
186.52 KB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mark....All the SVW 46 "L" block P-38 pistol(about 500)were sold by Interarms to a dealer in Maryland just outside of D.C.I went to the dealer and was able to hand-pick one. Some had the serial number stamped on all small parts,with the main serial on the tang.I got one of these. It's reported that these pistols were made in France but I think the were late German assembled.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Many years ago, NAPCA member Rene' Duquesne found a copy of the French order to assemble 500 P38's from the remaining stock of parts. Somewhere, in my junk, I have a copy. It was also published in AUTOMAG at the time.

The order was dated in the 1950's.

Orv

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.