Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
A new addition to my collection. The Rast Gasser Model 1898 was produced from 1898 until the end of WW1. According to Adamek's "Pistols of WW1" the serial number range is 1 to 176,000. This revolver is serial number 188891, 12,000+ above documented production. How that fits in, I am not sure yet. This gun carries an original acceptence "Wn Eagle 18". These revolvers continued to see use well after WW1. This revolver has been rebuilt and re-accepted in 1929 with a "HV Eagle 29" on the left side. It is no longer matching which, I suspect, is due to its rebuild. According to Fritz of this forum, who is a big help with these type of markings, the HV is for HEERSVERWALTUNG 1929. This translates to Army Administration 1929 (Accepted for service?). If you are a WW2 collector, don't pass up on these rebuilt, mismatched, reissued guns. They are historically correct for that later conflict. Most people pass on them. Sometimes they can be harder to locate than original ones.
Not sure of the unit marking, J.R.1.
Hope you enjoy.

Download Attachment: g1.jpg
30.64 KB

Download Attachment: g2.jpg
38.68 KB

Download Attachment: g11.jpg
27.32 KB

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello,
there are many R&G M98 revolvers with serial numbers over 190,000. Adamek is obviously unreliable; if you want good info on these, get the Gasser book by Joschi Schuy (ISNB 3853205884). Late in WWI few revolvers were unit marked so this marking could be post-war (Jnfanterieregiment Nr. 1?).
Regards,
montenegrin

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Montenegrin,
Thank you for the advice, I am going to pick up Schuy's book. Is the text in German? Good Photos?
How many rebuilt/re-accepted Rast Gasser revolvers do you come across? This is the first I have seen.
Dean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.