Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've acquired a second Police rework and thought I'd send along some pictures of the different CIRCLE S and other barrel stamps to see if it could shed some light on that topic. The real reason is to find out what the numbers on the rear frame are. I'm thinking they are some kind of inventory numbers or rack numbers but really am not sure. One of the guns also has a grip strap number. Police reworks is one of the many things in life I don't know much about.

First gun:

Download Attachment: MVC-007S.JPG
22.68KB

Download Attachment: MVC-004S.JPG
34KB

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
23.16KB

Download Attachment: MVC-015S.JPG
33.61KB

Download Attachment: MVC-006S.JPG
37.53KB

Second gun:

Download Attachment: MVC-008S.JPG
26.25KB

Download Attachment: MVC-009S.JPG
34.72KB

Download Attachment: MVC-011S.JPG
27.48KB

Download Attachment: MVC-014S.JPG
30.15KB

Download Attachment: MVC-012S.JPG
39.5KB

Download Attachment: MVC-013S.JPG
35.01KB

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
A SAWG would say rack number, as this is easy to see if racked, we had our 45's (1911A1) with them butt out in the rack, they had a plastic number on them, taped on, under the grips. It stayed for a long time, actual marking like this would last forever.

Ed

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dave, Are both of these pieces equipped with sear safeties? magazine safeties? The 1920 property stamp of itself couls indicate a Weimar army piece as easily as a police pistol.

Both of the four digit numbers on the rear of the recievers seem TO ME to have to many digits for a "rack number"

A complete set of photos could tell us more, for instance the magazines.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks Dave, both appear to have both the sear safety and also magazine safties still intact. The mag safety still in operating condition is unusual and desirable. Pisol number one appears to have a seamed steel magazine with an aluminum bottom. This type of magazine would have been issued after 1928 or could be an aluminuum replacement bottom on the original imperial seamed magazine. The later production may have an * over a letter as a police related marking, *K being common.

The second magazine is a type 4 police magazine with an eagle proof ( I think it should be an eagle D) This blued and extruded magazine was noted for superior functioning over the imperial style seamed magazine. Still 3rd Reich Lugers, p 171) Probably a 1936 to 1939 production.

Pistol has a type 1 Police magazine, probably 1934 or later production. The magazine button should be checked overall instead of having a border like your type 4. This one is in very nice condition as the stamp on the spine tends to take a lot of wear.

Still cannot help on those reciever numbers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.