Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Around 1990-91 I bought a refinished Mauser C96's from a company in California, Federal Ordnance (anyone remember them?). They were about $300, and had some minor surface pitting, but they looked pretty good. This one had been rebored to 9mm, which was fine with me.

Download Attachment: Broomhandle1.jpg
90.06KB

From the serial # (833xxx) I think I determined it was from the 1930's. I take it out and shoot it occasionally, and it's fun at the range.

Flash forward 13 years, and I finally get around to buying a wooden holster/stock from an ad in the Shotgun News from the Gun Parts Company. With shipping it was $85, and came with a leather sleeve and shoulder strap. I've anyone knows of a picture or can tell me how the strap is suppose to be fixed, I'd appreciate it. By the way, I put the order in Saturday night, and recieved it Wednesday afternoon.

The holster/stock is in pretty good shape, a few dings and bangs around the attaching iron, nothing serious. The iron appears to have been painted black at sometime in the past and is now flaking, so I'm in the process of cleaning it off. The iron will need a little bit of judicious filing before it slides all the way up into place on the Broom, but I don't see too much problem with that.

What I'd like to know, from anyone that may have an original holster/stock, is if you need to apply the safety to your C96 before you can close the holster? When fooling around with it, yesterday, I found that the door would only close if the safety was pushed to the 'on safe' position. Now, this seems to make sense, if you put a loaded Broom into a holster, you'd want to make sure it was on safe, but maybe this is just the way these holster's were made.
Any opinions?

·
Banned
803 Posts
Sounds like you have one of the Chinese repro stocks. I had one and it required the safety be on in order to close the rear hatch. I have never had an original, so I don't know how they work regarding the safety. I had no trouble attaching the shoulder strap. You should have two metal studs which secure each end of the strap to he metal loops on the holster. Incidentally, I no longer own shooter broomhandles, as I have had two broken bolt stops, a very weak part of the pistol. Replacements cost me $50 each.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I realized that it was a repro. I didn't think I'd get an original for under $90. I got the stock to fit tonight, I just had to sand off the black paint and gunk that had accumulated over the years. Right now I'm looking for a nice leather repro harness (with cleaning rod). I'll take the current leather sleeve and put it on my Hi-Power stock.

I've recently seen a picture of an original stock, and it seems the door had the safety groove cut in a little closer to the latch, so I guess you didn't have to put the safety before you closed the hatch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.