Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
I enjoy trying to coax as much historical information as possible out of data compilations like this. One thing has me puzzled about the reported data. For the most part, the "surviving" examples have a relatively random sample distribution of weapon numbers within the ranges 1b to 136b and 1 to 272. The exception to this is the relatively large gap of 54 numbers between 81b and 136b. I can't help wondering what might account for this although I realize the reporting of only one or two examples within this range would largely eliminate the apparent gap.

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Don
I also puzzled about the gap of 54 numbers.

Perhaps the gap was intentionally left by the armory marking these Lugers. It may relate to a World War I battle where a group of these Lugers were destroyed in a blast or fire or it could be caused by a number other events. As you stated, a few of the missing R.G. numbers will probably eventually show up!

Interesting
Jan

· Copper Bullet Member
3,519 Posts
Perhaps the gap was intentionally left by the armory marking these Lugers. It may relate to a World War I battle where a group of these Lugers were destroyed in a blast or fire or it could be caused by a number other events. As you stated, a few of the missing R.G. numbers will probably eventually show up!
Jan, I doubt that these numbers were skipped by the armory because of the very close match between the sum of the two largest numbers and the known manning level of the RG. If they had skipped these numbers, it would suggest that about 50 gendarmes did not get Lugers. While possible, this seems unlikely. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it is probably only a statistical anomaly. If, for example, R.G.108b were to show up, the apparent gap would essentially disappear. Hopefully, there are more out there to be discovered.

Of course, if there were a record of a doomed cavalry charge by the RG during WWI, it would be a tantalizing possibility.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.