Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Reloading for the RR?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cherokee 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I saw in another post a black powder load that Erone uses for his Reichrevolver. Does anyone else have a loading for these guns? Anyone have a low pressure nitro powder loading? Is a low pressure load like those used by the Cowboy Action shooters in 44 Russian a safe recipe? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Snow Dog

#3 ·
OK Heinrich, point taken! Black powder it is! Does Erone's loading of a 240 grain lead bullet over 20.5 grains of FFFg look about right to you? Do you have any recipes that you like to use?

By the way, I found a few markings on that holster of mine. On the outside, above the cartridge pouch, there is a stamp that looks like:
AWM

The A is very faint and hard to read as is the last two numbers. The two numbers could be 99, it's hard to tell for sure. On the inside of the holser, on the flap, there are some markings. It is almost impossible to see the first stamping as it is very worn but it looks like DROR with a date stamp underneath of 1909. Any guess as to what these stamps might/should be and what they mean?

Thanks again,

Snow Dog

#4 ·
Snow Dog,

Take 16 gr. FF or FFF. I have the luck to import new manufactured cartridges from France. I shoot only now and then.

AWM means: Artillerie- Werkstätten München (Artillery shop Munich)
Made in 1909 by shop no.3

The other unreadable markings are unit stamps. The D could be a B (for Bavarian) and the O an A.
Please look again, are there no numbers?

G
#5 ·
Snow Dog,

In Shooting Colt Single Actions</u>, p. 129, Venturino recommends a Pyrodex P (a BP sub) load of 15gr behind a 250 gr Lyman #429383 in R-P .44 Russian cases and a W-W large pistol primer.

I have tried his BP load, also p. 129, with heavy roll crimp, 20 gr Goex FFg with other components same as in Pyrodex load, above, and with some compression, in my RR with excellent results.

Much has been researched and written concerning reducing BP charges by using card wad or filler. I have not tried this, but am sure it would work as long as air space is NEVER allowed to remain in the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.