Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking at a Renato Gamba P08 Luger to purchase as a collectible. There is information available on some websites and forums stating that: “These pistols were manufactured by Mauser Werke for the Italian reseller, Renato Gamba in 1974. They were based on the Swiss frame and included the grip safety and low thumb safety marking. The initial order was for 1,000 pistols in .30 Luger with a 4″ P08 barrel, but due to financial problems only a small part of the contract was fulfilled and around 150 pistols were produced.”
However: The specific pistol I am looking at is actually in 9mm Para, and the side of the receiver is is marked, ‘MAUSER P08 4″ SERIE SPECIALE RENATO GAMBA’. On the front grip strap it is marked ‘MAUSER-WERKE A.G. Oberndorf a.N.’ More significant, the serial number is RG0327, so either the shipments were not numbered serially or the initial assumption that only 150 were shipped to Renato Gamba is incorrect ? Any ideas here ?
Trigger Air gun Material property Gun barrel Font

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Bicycle part Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Line Gun accessory

Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Metal Everyday carry

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
This pistol was built on available Renato Gamba parts that were never completed for the contract. Mauser also sold parts to gun dealers who then assembled functional pistols from available parts.

The barrel on this pistol is not a Mauser factory barrel.

Does the top of the receiver have the RG logo on it?

Other RG numbered guns were reworked into Interarms lugers and dumped on the US market.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you for the information. I’ll enquire if can get a photo from the dealer of the top of the receiver. I do know the gun is not offered in an original box supporting you comments that the gun may be assembled from parts. This gun is in South Africa which makes its origin a bit more of a puzzle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts