Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a theory, not yet proven, that the KU lugers were assemblem from mostly left over Mauser spare parts, after Mauser quite PO8 production in 1942, by the AirForce repair depots (LZAs). I need info on their locations and ordnance codes, if any. Thanks, TH

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Tom, I thought LZA was Leder-ZweeisungsAmt-Abteilung, or leather supply office to the war department. This is on oral information from a good source, but I do not have documentss . I have a minty 1918 Holster marked C. Leschen s. Co. KOLN-NIPPES 1918 under the flap. On the back it is marked L.Z.A over an Eagle and then J. Coln. Looks like an imperial eagle, has a crown and no swaztikas. But, if you are right about LZA then Coln maybe a depot, although I cannot explain the "J.".

regards, heinz

·
Registered
532 Posts
TH/Heinz,
* Jim Cates/Martin Krause explore the WWI LZA organization & list its branches in their AutoMag entry of XXXII-5(Aug.,'99) on pages 114-116. This also references some information by Richard Kornmeyer published in DWJ in 1982.
* The LZA organization noted by Heinz, per this AutoMag entry, was established in 1914 for handling contract orders for the Army to commercial manufacturers of leather goods. Essentially the LZA controlled the distribution of leather and the control/acceptance of the final product through a number of subordinate inspection branches located throughout Germany. Mr. Cates states the "J" on holster acceptances before the branch name is the peculiar German letter usage for "I" which stands for "Inspection". There are also "H" marks before other branch names which are mentioned; but, not explained. So "J Coln" would be the Inspection branch of the LZA in Coln.
* Looks like Tom may be interested in a different LZA (WWII Luft) organization dealing in weapons/ordanance repair. I have no line on this as yet.

Good Luck & Great Hunting! Bob

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Robert, thank you very much for that information. I appreciate it.
Tom, I am sorry that my information is useless to you. And here I was hoping I had a holster from the flying circus :)

regards, heinz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts