Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was the 1920 property mark rolled or stamped?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,558 Posts
2b,
I believe they were stamped. Some look very professionally done, while others are undoubtedly stamped with individual stamps, by an amateur.
Pat

Reactions: mrerick and Greg G

·
Administrator
13,635 Posts
that is what I believe was done also. If its a nice 1920 and lower (i.e. back towards you), then I believe its a date.
Were all stamped? I need to get out a book or two and look?

Ed

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not ALL pistols were stamped. Many police Lugers have been shown on the forum(s) as I can recall with only a single date from WW1 or after but other police features such as magazines, holsters, safeties, etc. The protocol was not always uniformly enforced either as Germany tried to skirt restrictions from Allied Control and oversight as much as they could. Others were undoubtedly either stolen or kept illegally/quasi-legally under the Weimar government and beyond by soldiers returning from the war back home to Germany, hence part of the reason for the requirement in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not ALL pistols were stamped. Many police Lugers have been shown on the forum(s) as I can recall with only a single date from WW1 or after but other police features such as magazines, holsters, safeties, etc. The protocol was not always uniformly enforced either as Germany tried to skirt restrictions from Allied Control and oversight as much as they could. Others were undoubtedly either stolen or kept illegally/quasi-legally under the Weimar government and beyond by soldiers returning from the war back home to Germany, hence part of the reason for the requirement in the first place.
yeah, but was the property mark (1920) applied by hand, or were there roll mark dies to apply the property mark?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Most were hand-stamped by unit-level or depot armorers. A few 1920 and 1921 production pistols were clearly stamped with the same typeface set and size (and care) and apparently applied at the same time as the date stamp.

--Dwight

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,558 Posts
2b,
The radius of the receiver, over the chamber, is large enough to not require a roll die. Roll dies are very difficult and expensive to make and are usually used to roll markings over a small radius or a long string of information over a surface.
It is my understanding that these 1920 property marks were all hand stamped.
Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts