Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

RR 1911A1 arrived

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  alvin 
#1 · (Edited)
I got it on 1/1. Finally it arrived. This one,,, I don't want to say it is 100%, but 99% is not an overestimate. Looks being unfired, the feeding ramp and magazine follower have no scratches, and the bore is mint. The exterior blue of the HS barrel is intact, lost probably 2% due to slide pulling action, similarly, the locking grooves on barrel and slide show slightest wearing signs. The slide fits frame perfectly no wobbling.

Originally, I worried a little bit on the factory address stamping on the slide based on seller provided pictures, but that turned out being no problem either. The stamping is sharp and clear.

Here it is.. my first RR,,, 2nd 1911A1 ( another one is an Ithaca). Gun dealers usually are very frugal on gun oil, they keep guns dry, I applied a little bit oil on it :)

Wood Hand tool Tool Glove Hardwood
Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood Font
Wood Knife Blade Air gun Eyewear
Tire Automotive tire Tread Line Font
Brown Wood Automotive tire Circle Gas
Automotive tire Water Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive design

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Totally acquired 10 pistols, and one wood stock. Out of these 11 items, not necessarily all of them being cheap (this RR was cheap, but some acquisitions were not). 9 out 10 pistols and the wood stock are great ones, but one small pistol was a disaster. Doing business remotely has its risk. But nowadays, I cannot drive hundreds of miles frequently, so, take some risk. 1 bad item out of 11, that is 9% failure, still acceptable.

#5 · (Edited)
There was a memoir in Shanghai which recorded an event of 1947. Translate into English, it was "Gun shooting case between Nationalist military police and Shanghai police in 1947".

Basically, hundred of men from two government branches gun fought each other on street, and 7 policemen were killed in the event,,, Shanghai police had only revolvers, those nationalist MP armed with American made Thompson and "large caliber pistol" obviously had firepower advantages. It was unclear which model of 1911 was there, no details, but it must be 1911 or 1911A1. This event was recorded because it must be rare to see MP and police shooting each other in such a scale.. even in China of that era.

#6 · (Edited)
Regarding police fighting police, it happens in small scale more frequently. Just a side story here, nothing to do with this pistol. This story was a little bit unusual though.

It was in mid of 1990s, that is communist era in China. Two junior policemen in a training camp shot their political director and fled into a small mountain cave. Due to that cave's unusual structure, a wide spectrum of weapons were used to "naturalize" these two.

Initially, hundreds of men fired their rifles and machine guns towards the cave, thousands of rounds fired. That didn't work, those two guys armed with AK47 still shot back.

Seeing that not working, siege commander organized a group of grenade throwers. They accurately dumped at least 50 hand grenades into the cave... Thought even shocking could kill them... No, did not work either. Those two still shot men approaching the cave.

Outside police then borrowed RPG from local army, and fired two rounds... That was much more powerful than hand grenades,,, but not working either.

Local army came to help. They carried a 80mm recoilless gun, fired a few rounds.. all fall into that target cave, but didn't "natrualize" those two guys hidding inside.

Army commander had some Vietnam war experience. He suggested using flame throwers in this situation. Two throwers came quickly. But, they still failed to kill those two.

The final solution was more primitive. At midnight, outside police pumped thousands liters of gasoline into the cave using a long pipe, and burned those two.

Only two gunmen... Lots of effort. Just a side story on weapons.

#9 · (Edited)
Total cost of ownership is 1950. Usually, I only pay guns like this... I mean, there are many interesting guns,,, I look at this, look at that, play a little bit in hands, then put it back into pile... That is good enough, I saw it, and that is free. For me to pay greenbacks, a gun cannot just be interesting, it need condition (not counting the guns that I have resell plan before acquisition)... That is the usual case. There are exceptions.

==
Yes. The ramp is silver bright. I learned a little about this type recently.. probably will get a Colt in future.

#10 · (Edited)
The fighting event of 1947 originated from a small conflict, but finally went out of control.

Nationalist government had a few branches controlling the society. The duty of Shanghai police was handling everyday public security on street, traffic control, regular criminal investigation, etc. MP was supposed to regulate all those military personnels in Shanghai, but could also involved in civilian issues on street. Due to this intersection of duties, the two branches had small conflicts frequently.

In hot Summer of 1947, three friends from Nationalist tax department went to a cinema watching a new movie. Only one guy had ticket. They requested doorman to add two chairs so they could all go in and sit.. "we pay".. The doorman rejected, "no ticket? Forget that." So, they quarrelled on that.

There was a MP Lieutenant with two soldiers sitting in cinema VIP room, eating ice cream and enjoying air conditioning. Heard the noise downstairs, they came down. Standing on those three mens' side, he ordered doorman "they pay, then, let them in". But a passing-by Shanghai police ordered those three to leave... The conflict soon erupted between MP and the policeman. The MP officer slapped police on his face, "you dare not solute superior officer!", then, ordered his two soldiers, "beat him. I will take the responsibility".. the poor police was beaten to half death by gun butts. After that, the MPs went back upstairs, left the wounded police on street. Seeing a police was beaten, the owner of the movie theater knew it was not a small thing,, he let theater employee sending the police to hospital immediately, and informed police department. "MP and police, they are two 'grandpas', any of them can terminate our business", all he could do was praying (the detail was mainly provided by this owner).

Heard of this, Shanghai police assembled around that cinema, and wanted to revenge. Seeing hundreds of armed police, the Lieutenant called his unit, and trucks of soldiers arrived. Soon, the situation went out of control, and they started shooting each other on the metropolitan street...

#11 ·
At the end, both Shanghai police head and MP regiment commander were removed from their positions. The MP unit was moved to another city.

Police was so angry, they rushed to that movie theater, damaged all properties inside. In order to protect himself, the theater owner paid all medical bills, and 200,000 silver coins to Shanghai police department..... It was not his fault, but that happened in his property..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.