Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were tons of these in France after WW1 which leads me to this question. Does anyone have any written info, photos or oral history of their use during WW2? I would "assume" the French Underground would have employed some...French army? Occupying Germans???
Any information would be helpful, thanks, Dean

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Good question. It takes some time and thought to realize that they are other pistols out there that the Nazi used other than the big 4. They did indeed use the Ruby in WW2 but appears that perhaps it was in-country , sort to speak , as to where they used them. A considerable amount of non descripted holsters were actually used by many organizations and many individuals and Ruby was one of them. Unfortunately it appears that they were unmarked as well. One thing for certain, the Ruby's just didn't disappear into the woodwork as the French Police were using Ruby's up till the end of 1980's. IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although Ruby pistols were considered as "emergency pistols" in french army in WWI, they were so numerous (near 1000000 buyed in spain!) that it was the more numerous handgun of french army at the beginning of WWII. At the end of the desastrous compaign of may-june 1940, german soldiers captured thousands of Ruby pistols. They considered it as what it was, a rather poor to middle quality gun but their handgun shortage forced them to supply second line troops with it. In the german nomenclature, it was the "Pistole 624(f)" Calibre 7,65mm. Neither a hangun was useless in WWII german army, so a .32 ACP pistol, even a poor quality one, was welcome!
I remember an old resistant telling that he captured in august 1944 near Limoges in France, a SS soldier wearing a Sten machinegun and a french Modèle 1892 revolver Cal. 8 mm Lebel... What a strange armoury combination!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the Rubys. I did find an interesting photo while looking through a book of mine. In "The Luger Pistol" in the Propaganda Photo Series, which has some great period pictures, I found a Ruby photo. On page 133, it shows French civilians making holsters for the Germans. The caption states that the pistol is a Unique Model 17. It appears to have wood grips, and the stud added to the slide to protect the safety. I am thinking a Ruby.
Never mind the German guard standing behind you while you work....
Dean

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got this photo showing a french craftsman making holsters for german army during WW II. The pistol is useful to test the dimensions of the internal parts. Obviously it's a Ruby pistol: wooden grips and curved serrations are details never found on Unique Model 17 or Union pistols. I think that it is an other proof of the use of Ruby pistols in WW II german army.
Concerning Ruby's service in France... it is still in use (but replaced little to little) in various small administrations like O.N.F. (Organisme National des Eaux et Forêts)!
Not bad for a pistol who had to be replaced in 1919!...

Download Attachment: Ruby holster manufacturer.JPG
83.3KB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.