Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months my interest is on the Ruby pistols. If you can find one from one of the better manufacturers like (Astra) then you have a quality piece . These quality pistols are only going up and up in value . I now have 4 1. is a Astra 1911 7 shot Italian military 2. Astra 1916 French military rig 3. Paramount (Extezagarra) 3. Guernica (ALkartasuns) all in excellent condition for the age.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel

· Registered
525 Posts
Unfortunately there isn’t any decent literature in English about these that I’m aware of. One of the most ubiquitous models of the era. And the quality ranges from dubious to very good. I once read a paper on the arms industry in Eibar during WW I (the center of Basque arms production). Companies making Rubys for the French contracts ranged from 2 to 125 employees. Some are so handmade that parts don’t even interchange within the same maker‘s guns; but the larger gunmakers were solid and ran modern industrial production. The Basque country was not some European version of the Khyber Pass, as folks sometimes imagine when discussing Spanish guns.

My current type specimen was made by the second-largest producer, Arizmendi y Goenaga, who produced about 80,000 pistols for the French.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

· Premium Member
626 Posts
One nice aspect to collecting Ruby pistols is that there are many, many different ones, and most are not real expensive (compared to Lugers, P.38s, Vis Radom, Webley, PPKs, etc., etc.), so a person can amass a great collection at a much lower price than many of the other types of pistols, and have all the same enjoyment of the hunt, display, etc.

· Registered
2,168 Posts
One nice aspect to collecting Ruby pistols is that there are many, many different ones, and most are not real expensive (compared to Lugers, P.38s, Vis Radom, Webley, PPKs, etc., etc.), so a person can amass a great collection at a much lower price than many of the other types of pistols, and have all the same enjoyment of the hunt, display, etc.
Wonderfully put! That is exactly why I personally love Rubys and Spanish pistols in general.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a similar(somewhere) that was referred to a a "Buffalo"......I cant find it just now. How does it fit in or does it.??? I got a replacement grip from Jim S. at OGCA some years ago.

PJH

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Can anyone point me in a direction of where I could possibly get parts like springs & stuff for my .32 Ruby pistol? Thanks in advance
These guns from many different manufacturers were not made entirely of interchangeable parts.

Here is a topic which has many interesting potential links. It is from 2010, so keep in mind that some businesses/links may no longer be valid.

ruby .32 spanish pistol parts needed Hand Guns Forum | Numrich

· Registered
508 Posts
Does anyone have a list of the Ruby manufacturers? Is there any way to help determine the quality of the product by a specific manufacturer?

I have a Ruby given to me by a friend. The pistol was disassembles and in a bag, he said if I could reassemble it, the pistol was mine. Have "owned" for about 12 years. Never fired it, but cycles well. No French military star on this pistol.

As Absalom mention above, they were made by a number of Basque companies, some good, some poor, other pretty bad.

· Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone have a list of the Ruby manufacturers? Is there any way to help determine the quality of the product by a specific manufacturer?

I have a Ruby given to me by a friend. The pistol was disassembles and in a bag, he said if I could reassemble it, the pistol was mine. Have "owned" for about 12 years. Never fired it, but cycles well. No French military star on this pistol.

As Absalom mention above, they were made by a number of Basque companies, some good, some poor, other pretty bad.
Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but there's a pretty extensive list of Ruby manufacturers in the Wikipedia entry on the Ruby:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_pistol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts