Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Jan:

That is one real nice piece. And that 1934 holster with the P.08 makes that rig one that any German firearm’s collector should be real envious of. One thing on qualification: I’ve always heard those real early acceptance marks described as, “pre-waffenamt 37” stamps, not the description you’ve given them. They actually look more like “Ö 37” anyway. Something interesting of parallel note: the K date Kar.98k rifles also have the pre-amt 37 stamp only on the early ones, or first sub variation. But the rifles have three:

earlyKandGcodeDateproofs.jpg

This oddball acceptance mark continued to be used in the early G date rifles. Was this the case with the G date Lugers? I had one real old grizzled collector tell me some interesting speculation about the pre-amt 37 stamp. He claimed that die set was the property of a real “old timer” inspector at the Oberndorf plant, and that he “stuck his nose” into the QC of the early K and G dates at the beginning of those productions, until he retired in 1935.

“Mitgegangen, mitgefangen, mitgehangen.”
-Old German saying.

· Registered
25 Posts
Jan, I like the Kar rifles, but they are way less glamorous, desirable as collectables, and shootable than a Luger. I also think the basic Luger is the single most recognizable firearm in the world. Especially with non-collectors. You can show the silhouette of a P.08 to about anyone – even a person who hates firearms or isn’t interested in them – and he or she will probably be able to tell you, “that’s a Luger.” A close second is the Thompson submachine gun. Although they might say Tommy gun (shortened name), gangster gun (spot on), or Chicago Typewriter. Haven’t seen it in forever, but I think even Captain Kirk had a Luger in the Star Trek episode Patterns of Force. William Shatner made the most convincing Nazi I’ve ever seen for an actor. And I hear he acts like one on the set too…

Download Attachment: patternsofforce.jpg
13.15KB

“Mitgegangen, mitgefangen, mitgehangen.”
-Old German saying.

· Registered
25 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jan C Still

Toggle Top
There are a few K dates with two matching mags. When I started collecting you almost never saw two matching mags. There seem to be more now.
That is Waffenfabrik USA at work Jan. (That tongue-in-check name I have to give credit to Bill Reed, aka Mauser Bill.) There never used to be so many matching pieces for anything in this hobby. Even when I started. I have another friend who claims that partly because of the influx of the Russian captures, everything is eventually going to be all matching. I also chortle insanely whenever I see the ridiculous prices that Luger parts are going for on eBay. And just watch the price jump through the roof when a period correct unnumbered magazine goes on sale. It’s pretty obvious what is going on. Some time ago, I sold an unnumbered legitimate armorer’s replacement item for a great price, and I was scratching my head trying to figure out why it went so high. Then I looked at what some of the bidders had already purchased. Looks like those bastards were trying to put together fake sniper rifles! Curses, I’d unknowingly become a supplier to WFUSA. I mention this because I’ve noticed that some of the gentlemen who post on the two main Luger boards are in business selling P.08 pistols, accessories and spare parts. So whether they realize it or not, they’ve probably also sold needed hardware to the very fakers they hate so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.