Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST SUBVARIATION, S/42 CODE-K DATE.
During 1934 Mauser started production of Lugers for the German military. A “K” over the chamber was used as a date code for 1934. An S (scriptic or gothic) inspection mark was stamped on almost all parts of the first 9100 Lugers produced*. After serial number 9100 the remaining K date Lugers were produced without the “S” parts stamps (there are minor exceptions*).

*The stamping of the S inspection stamps was not always consistent. The term “almost all” is best used to describe the distribution of gothic and scriptic S stamps to define Subvariations of K date Lugers.

Download Attachment: Kdate1.jpg
43.74 KB
Figure 1. The first 1700 K date Lugers produced bore the scriptic “S” inspection stamp on almost all parts. These have been termed First Subvariation “K” date. Shown is first Subvariation K date, serial number1056.

Download Attachment: Kdate3.jpg
21.03 KB
Figure 2. First Subvariation K date, serial number 1056. Top. Note the scriptic “S” stamp on all parts.

Download Attachment: Kdate2.jpg
49.64 KB
Figure 3. First Subvariation K date, serial number 1056. Right side.

Download Attachment: Kdate4.jpg
45.88 KB
Figure 4. First Subvariation K date, serial number 1056. Right receiver and barrel, showing the early test proof and 0-37 acceptance stamps. All the First Subvariation “K” date Lugers bear the double 0-37 acceptance stamps.

Download Attachment: Kdate5.jpg
43.47 KB
Figure 5. First Subvariation K date, serial number 1056. Serial number on the frame and barrel. Note the halo on the barrel serial number digits and 8.83 barrel gauge digits.

Download Attachment: Kdate6.jpg
66.53 KB
Figure 6. First Subvariation K date, serial number 1056. Showing its 1934 dated holster.

Download Attachment: Kdate7.jpg
23.12 KB
Figure 7. Holster manufacture CARL HEINICH / DRESDEN / 1934 and droop eagle WaA105 acceptance stamp.

Download Attachment: Kdate8.jpg
72.21 KB
Figure 8. Details of 1934 dated holster. It bears a pouch for a cleaning rod and an extra flap for a cleaning patch. These features are found on earlier dated Weimar Era Army holsters and disappear by 1935. The tool bears the O-37 inspection stamp.

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt
The 0-37 acceptance stamp is used to about K date 3300. The use of the 0-37 stamp ends someplace in the later 3000 serial range to be replaced by the B-90 and S-91. The 0-37 does not show up again and is not used on G dates. I find that knowledge of the same acceptance stamps being used on the rifles can sometimes help understand their use on Lugers.
Thanks for the insight.
Jan

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frank
As I recall, there is a transition in the mid-3000 serial range of a few hundred K dates that have the S-91 (or B-90?) 0-37 acceptance stamp. Yours fits in that range. Correction 09/26/03

Can you take or obtain photographs of your K date. It should be a subvariation 2 with mixed scriptic and gothic stamps. However, I have found that the distribution of the S (scriptic and gothic) is not consistent. It would be of interest to see yours.

I would like to see photographs of all the subvariations of K date Luger posted here.
Jan

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toggle Top
This Luger doesnt have two matching mags. There are a few K dates with two matching mags. When I started collecting you almost never saw two matching mags. There seem to be more now.
Jan

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ed
Thanks for adding the photographs. Sometime please tell me how you did that.

Tim
Thanks for your K date, sn 2295, photographs. Based on your photographs this luger lacks a test proof on its right receiver and barrel. The test proof on its left breechblock appears to be absent and has an S stamped in its place. (Please correct me if my observations from your photographs are incorrect.) A red extractor is usually the result of a hot salt blue, so your Luger has probably been refinished. Please list in detail all the markings and their locations on this Lugers barrel, receiver, and frame. Are all the parts matched? Which parts bear the S? A sharper photograph of the right receiver would be helpful.

Also, as Don stated your Luger is out of sequence for the B90 acceptance stamp.

Sorry to say, based on what I have seen in your photographs so far, your Luger is at best a lunch box special*(doubtful) or at worst a complete crude fake assembled by Waffenfabrik USA (likely).
Jan

*Assembled from available parts by a factory worker and snuck home in a lunch box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.