Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
My apologies, I intended to get the new thread started this weekend but with an out of town friend and my house heater quitting (AGAIN, blower motor this time) still gets cold in northern AZ.) It didn't happen. As soon as is possible it will get started.
Ryche

·
Registered
228 Posts
nieuport and all,

I have SuS mod 38h serial number 401945 that has a matching holster (SINDELL/BERLIN/1942). Neither magazine is numbered.

Also reported by member AL is 38h serial number 412456 that has an identical SINDELL/BERLIN/1942 holster numbered to the pistol. No numbers on his magazines were present either. Geo.
DSC04035.JPG

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
geo.luger thanks for posting your neat E/C police rig. Of the numbered magazines in my database so far, only one other is paired with a numbered holster above 400 000 also an Otto Sindel 1942. Any German name or address inked inside your holster?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, post #9 above, about two weeks ago, was a test to see if everyone was paying attention, but unfortunately no one commented that no JP Sauer & Sohn pistol was ever serial numbered above about 514XXX. The spine numbered mag in post #9 belongs to a Walther PPK issued by the RSHA (ie, "SS" not "S&S"). Is it significant that the JP Sauer mag in that post was numbered with the same pattern?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Same magazine-police-numbering pattern .... could that mean same unit/location's upgrade of older with newer sidearms? ......... PP production 1935 versus 38h production 1942

.............. post-up (or P-) your's please

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
846 Posts
Behorden Diamond Sunburst. The baseplate of the mag was removed and flipped over and the smooth side was numbered to this pistol. If you look down inside the mag you can see the S&S Cal. 7,65 legend on the baseplate with the number from another pistol.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Greg G, wow, those are two magnificent Behödenmodells ! Would you please post or PM me an image of what appears inside your 209137 numbered holster (I see writing in there). I am confused when you write " If you look down inside the mag you can see the S&S Cal. 7,65 legend on the baseplate with the number from another pistol " ... please compare what you see with the image below (the numbering below "matches" so I guess what you are seeing "down inside" is different than "4637" ?)

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
846 Posts
Would you please post or PM me an image of what appears inside your 209137 numbered holster (I see writing in there). I am confused when you write " If you look down inside the mag you can see the S&S Cal. 7,65 legend on the baseplate with the number from another pistol " ... please compare what you see with the image below
nieuport,
The name on the inside of the holster appears to be Kaüss. I see nothing else written. It's hard to see in the picture but with a flash light it looks like an unlaut over the u.

Now, here's where my memory failed me. I remembered the numbers being different but they are the same. The number on both sides of the baseplate match the pistol. I removed the follower and spring from the mag and took a picture down inside the mag. You can see the baseplate was numbered on the S&S side and then removed and flipped over and numbered again on the smooth (originally inside) side of the baseplate. Why? I don't know. I plan to leave it like it is.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Greg G. I believe "Kaüss" translates in English to "kisses" but it also appears to be a not too uncommon family name, most likely the German vet who carried your rig (writing the name inside Behördenmodell holsters was a common practice)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here is a link to my Sauer 38, Police accepted serial no. 269490, with two match magazines.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks jsz, congratulations on your pistol and not one but two numbered mags. Of the 66 numbered mags in my database, the numbering pattern of your's is unique. What does that mean? Maybe a smaller police location or at least one with fewer [surviving] examples? Wish we knew for sure. I note Jim Cate's post directly below your presentation - his words pretty much say it all - but since that was 2012 I suspect he might now extend his time period estimate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just wanted to give a quick public "thank you" to nieuport - thanks to his keen eye, he spotted the second matching magazine to my eagle/c Sauer 38h (post #11 in this thread), which had popped up on Gunbroker as the spare magazine to an Army eagle/37 rig. He was kind enough to let me know it had surfaced, and thanks to that I was able to win the rig and reunite the pistol with both matching magazines!! I purchased the pistol and one matching mag in Manassas VA, and the second matching mag had found its way all the way to CA. Who knows how long they have been separated, but thanks to nieuport's great eye and kindness, they're now back together! THANK YOU nieuport!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Doug with the assist! Congrats to you, kh195, and thank you Doug for helping a member of the community!

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The count has now risen to 75 serial-numbered JPS&S magazines ! Always looking for more if anyone would share a picture of theirs' (PM me for confidentiality).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just for the information I have an Eagle over F serial number 503081 but no numbered magazine. It is a late war production without the safety.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts