Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I was at a local gun show and a dealer had a fully engraved Sauer 38H in the serial # 401XXX range. The gun is absolutely mint with beautiful rosewood grips. All the markings are crisp and is has the police marking. The profuse engraving is definitely Germanic in nature and the finish on the interior parts tells me this gun is unfired. Does anyone have any information on such presentation pieces? By the way, I did buy it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You need to contact Jim Cate...the Author of the two books on the Sauer pistols.. and send him photos..!

[email protected]

His book shows no engraved guns in that range. And, to me, the police acceptance stamp would make it rather questionable?

Orv

Orvel Law Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593
360-245-3492
360-245-3702 Fax
360-520-6520 Cel
[email protected]

quote........"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." - Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Why are you asking this question AFTER you have bought it ???? Its yours, and I don't think that you will find anyone who is going to bless what experts would consider a "highly doubtful" engraved Sauer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huggiebear;
I don't remember asking anyone to "bless" my purchase, I asked if anyone had any information on possible factory engraved examples.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Rick, following the outstanding Sauer&Sohn books written by Jim Cate an my observations we have to realise that factory engraved S&S pistols are extremly rare.

All engraved 38 H pistols described and observed are commercial E/N proofed except one E/37 Military accepted pistol.
Most of them are postwar assembled pistols numbered
( up from # 507 000 )upon the arrivel of the U.S.Army in Suhl,Germany.
These were assembled and engraved as souveniers for U.S. soldiers during the U.S. occupation period.

The grips of the few engraved wartime pistols are of standart pattern black "Kunststoff" ( plastic ) except of a very few ivory and white celluloid grips, but never made of wood.

Engraved wartime pistols observed: # 305 225, # 363 573, # 430 576, # 456 949.

Please send pics !

Fritz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.