Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
According to published sources, the thumb safety didn't begin to be a feature till somewhere around 263600 serial range.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The safety lever was a German Army procurement contract requirement. Some of the early ones didn't have them as Sauer designed them this way but added the safety lever feature at the demand of the German Army. Eventually the 38H lost this safety lever at the end of production returning to the pre Nazi contract original Sauer design concept.

I HATE it when a auction seller can't provide decent clear pictures! I WOULD NOT BUY this gun with out a better look especially after this kind of presentation.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lloyd,
I agree. I see this a lot. This seller's photos are pointless.
So, the seller has five fingers on his left hand, big deal.
Seems that a seller of a WW2 piece would know that the bidders will be collectors,
and that his photos should show the markings, finish, etc.,
not just a blurred silhouette of a "pistol-shaped" object.
Good grief.
PS. Non related subject:
I live in Massachusetts.
Now homos can get married here.
I'm originally from Texas.
Somebody shoot me.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pancho, what's with the right and left coast of this great country? I am from CA (grew up there) but boy am I glad I now reside in Nevada! These ultra liberal politicians and judges are a scourge on the Land of Freedom!

Pancho are you going to the SOS/NGD show in Louisville in bout two weeks? I will be there just wondering.

Take care buddy! Lloyd in Nevada

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mauserdad,

Looks like you have two very nice Sauer 38hs. The 38H production started at about serial number 260000. Yours serial 261075 is a very early commercial model (C/N Proofs NO German Army waffen stamps or Nazi era proofs) without the thumb safety (this was the orginal Sauer design). Later the German Army would insist on the manual thumb safety lever but it was not an original Sauer design concept. This pistol is very early when some of the final production details were still being worked on or just being worked out in terms of cocking/decocking lever final version design characteristics. The earliest 38Hs have one line left side legends but yours has two--first noted pistol with two line legend according to Jim Cate is serial number 260268.

Your other 38H is a German Police model (E/C acceptance stamp) with the thumb safety and decocking/cocking lever. This is the German Army typical production contract type model but some of the later Police models did not have the thumb safety. Your 38H is what Jan Still in his "Axis Pistols" book calls a Variation 2 Military-finish manual safety model. Serial range 331154 to 440113. Your 409146 is right around the time Sauer eliminated the two line legend leaving just "Cal. 7,65" on the left side slide flat. The "Patent" marking on the right side slide flat was also eliminated according to Still right around serial 409000.

Are both of yours matching serial numbers? What do the magazine bottoms look like? Either one for sale?

Two nice Sauer 38Hs hope some of my rambling helps!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lloyd thank you very much for the information.Both are matching.See Pics for clip bottoms.I took a PIC of the Nazi stamp.It actually is a 37.Sorry they are not for sale at this time.Several years ago I collected WW2 handguns and really have concentraded my efforts else where.Found this board and got interested again.Again thank you.Please let me know if clips are correct.

Download Attachment: MVC-007F.JPG
131.83 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-008F.JPG
129.98 KB

Download Attachment: MVC-009F.JPG
130.98KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mauserdad,

There you go a classic German E/37 waffen acceptance stamped variation 3 38H. It was hard to tell from your first pictures but it could be either a police or a army model because the serials were mixed between the two organizations. There was production of about 30,000 for both this army variation and the police variation.

The magazines look correct. Some magazine bottoms have the SS and caliber 7,65 on them and some just have the interlaced/interwined SS. I have examples of both.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hello Lloyd,

Nope, am unable to go to Louisville this year. Went last year. Picked up a very nice Steyr-Hahn M1912 Romanian slotted
http://www.panchogun.com/FV-Steyr-Hahn-Romanian-Page.html ,
and a very nice PP PDM with holster and two mags.
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Walther-PP-PDM-Holster-5x100px.jpg

Was a good show for me.
Currently, my time and $ is being spent on the last leg of a restoration of a 1966 Triumph Bonneville that I have owned since 1972. Am in the last 30 days of a 2 year restoration project. Look forward to getting your report of the show. I'll be there next year. I hope you find a good pistol at a good price.

Pete,
Here are photos of a police 38H I have with photos of inside of grips.
Hope this helps.

Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-1.jpg
85.29 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-2.jpg
63.68 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-3.jpg
57.49 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-4.jpg
82.63 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-5.jpg
71.8 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-6.jpg
65.4 KB
Download Attachment: Sauer-38H-Police-2magsHolster-7.jpg
46.44 KB

G

·
Any chance of having these pictures refreshed???
I'm presently doing a study on these neat little guns and I need all the help I can Get...
I'm presently looking for a copy of Cate's Book.
Anyone out there that wants to sell thiers??..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.