Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unfired 38H is No. 396xx. It has commercial proofs and the Police eagle with C. Does anyone know the year of production?

I now have three 38H mags. The one which came in the above pistol has a cast base with raised logo. Another has a folded sheetmetal base. The third is a question. The base is milled steel and marked "cal. 7,65", but no logo. What production range is appropriate for these mags?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Greg

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Greg, Production of 396XXX would have been in April or May 1943. The cast zinc base plates began in mid 1943, the earliest observed with pistol 398653. The stamped steel base plate began after January, 1944. The milled base plate is the earliest, used from the start of production, but most of these have the S&S logo. Some later (1942-43) may show only the "Cal. 7,65" marking, but I have never seen one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Sauer. I appriciate the above information.

This pistol had the issue magazine in place when I got it, so it would appear that this is a slightly lower numbered example of the cast base mag. I know the vet who brought it back and he never had an extra mag. The pistol has never been fired.

Best regards,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.