Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning Jim,

Would you help with confirming variation and year of mfg? I am assuming this was war time non military variation?

Serial Number 299726, both frame and slide
Eagle N mark on frame and slide
High polish finish (Excellent) and safety lever (Red dot)
Two line logo on left slide
One line on right
2 high polished (excellent) magazines , no serial numbers
2 sets of original hand grips (no cracks)
No acceptance E37 or Police acceptance stamps
1 holster with Police acceptance mark (with serial number not matching gun #270096)

Thank you for your help.

·
2,431 Posts
Late July 1941... thanks for the serial numbers; will add to database. Stay well, Jim

- - - Updated - - -

military, police or commercial pistols??? Advise please. Thanks, Jim

·
2,431 Posts
January / February 1941. Cannot be more specific because of steel allocations to weapons' manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

Please advise if these are military, police or commercial pistols. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Jim Cate, I do not remember haviing posted this pistol for your database. It is a civilian 3rd variation with the safety and military finish. Serial 386557.

·
2,431 Posts
Heinz, perhaps you gave it to me sometime in the past as it was already in my database showing it is a commercial (as you noted) with a full slide legend. Thanks and do stay well, JIM

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think an interesting thing is the SIG Sauer 226 and 229 (and maybe all of the DA/SA hammer models) dispense with the manual safety. The rational is the long DA trigger pull when the action is decocked negates the need for a safety. The Sauer 38 and 38H were actuallyone step better in that they both cock and decock with the lever. Wish they would remake it in a 380 and an aluminum frame :)

·
2,431 Posts
Yes, that would be nice. A lot of other folks would like to own one of those too. I thought Sig-Sauer did come out with a Model 38 knockoff with the decocking lever in cal. 380, but I don't think it had an aluminum frame. As I recall it also had a Walther PP/PPK type of hold-open too. Stay well, Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jim, I don't recall if I had given you this serial number before. If I have, please excuse my redundancy. S/N 288999......E/C.....E/N slide and frame....red dot safety....polished mag floor with SUS logo and caliber 7.65. No holster as yet, only 1 mag. My guess as to production date was sometime in 1941. Still need to buy your book. Any chance for a reprint? Hope all is well where you are. Rob

·
2,431 Posts
Yes, 288999 was made during the 1st quarter of 1941, probably February. It has been somewhat difficult to nail down the exact month for pistols made during the first quarter of '41. There are reasons for this which I won't go into presently. Thanks, JIM

·
2,431 Posts
Production time: late August - early September, 1942. You did not state whether it is a commercial, or a military or police accepted pistol. No, it is not a rare pistol; condition is a major factor as to its value. Regards, JIM

·
Registered
2 Posts
it has the bird mark on it twice. One has a c under it and the other an N.
Slide appears to have been blued at one point in time. The frame is shiny silver color. The bluing May have worn off.

Thanks for the reply Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question. I just got one of these 38h serial 436411, excellent condition. Has the eN on the right of frame and slide. Could you tell me the issue and man date for this one? Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Are their any markings on the trigger guard? Mfg date 1944 this is as close as I can get.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

·
2,431 Posts
It appears it would be April, 1944 production and probably is a commercial example. I'm sure it was issued as quickly as possible as the date puts its production one year before the U.S. Army captured Suhl, Germany where Sauer was located. The allies were kicking a lot of *** in 1944. Regards, JIM

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. None at all. And the only other markings are the CAL. 7.65 on the left of the slide. And as fas as *** kicking goes, thats what America does.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts