Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you jsz and peter for your reply!

Here are additional pictures of the holster closed and the back. I greatly appreciate the assistance and detective work. I had a hard time reading manufacturer stamp as well; initially I thinking maybe Schambach?, but Robert Larsen makes sense too. Is there a way to try and enhance the stamp to better read it?

Thanks again!

IMG-1641.jpg IMG-1642.jpg

·
2,431 Posts
Your Sauer was made in February 1944 and police accepted at that time. The holster, with its teardrop at the bottom, is a police accepted holster that probably was for a Walther PP....and not a Sauer. Someone went to a lot of trouble to add the teardrop piece of leather when it would have been much easier to sew the bottom portions of the front and back together.
Regards, Jim Cate, author of the Sauer reference books.

·
2,431 Posts
I forgot to mention that the serial numbers, complete or partial, found on Sauer magazines were applied by individual police departments. Sauer never numbered any magazines for the M.38 or M.38H pistols. These serial numbers are located in different places on the magazines. 1/ on the spine/back; 2/ on the bottom left side of the magazine; 3/ and on the bottom of the magazine's floorplate. They usually have a 1 or 2 stamped along with the serial numbers indicating a particular mag is 1 of 2, or 2 of 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Jim! Yes, I completely agree - the craftsmanship is incredible.

Thank you for the info on the mag numbering too - that's very interesting! The more I learn about 38H, the more I want to keep digging. What an incredible piece of history.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jim,
Will try again may have missed the last post.
Here is one for your data base.
Have a Sauer 38 H serial 343567 Eagle N on right side frame & top of slide Eagle C on left trigger guard.
Any info woul be helpfull.
Thank you,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoping someone could help with dates. Found this forum after doing a little research on a 38H thats been passed down. The SN: 459986, E/N, and E/37 under left trigger guard. There is a holster and two magazines. I haven't seen any markings on the holster, but one of the magazines has the "SuS" logo. Also, unfortunately, it doesn't have original grips, but wood with a large checkered pattern.

·
2,431 Posts
Production data: mid-September 1944. By that late date of production, the bakelite grips had no 'filler' material in their composition. One of the basic ingredients of bakelite is phenol. Over time the phenol leaches out and the bakelite becomes more brittle. The late Ia marked grips were never very strong like those that preceded them. I mention this because a lot of the late Sauers have broken grips or after-market grips on them. The mag you have without any logo on it is the last of those utilized by the Sauer M.38H. Regards, Jim Cate, author of the Sauer reference books.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Production data: mid-September 1944. By that late date of production, the bakelite grips had no 'filler' material in their composition. One of the basic ingredients of bakelite is phenol. Over time the phenol leaches out and the bakelite becomes more brittle. The late Ia marked grips were never very strong like those that preceded them. I mention this because a lot of the late Sauers have broken grips or after-market grips on them. The mag you have without any logo on it is the last of those utilized by the Sauer M.38H. Regards, Jim Cate, author of the Sauer reference books.
Thanks so much! Now I know a little more truth behind such an amazing piece of history!
Here's pictures of the holster and the 2 mags.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon. Kind of stumbled along this forum and felt it was a good place to possible get some Info.
I inherited a 38H this week. There is no story or paperwork behind it at all. It it has 2 mags that do not have any markings on them what so ever. A tattered holster that it fits but do not know if it was made for the 38H. The pistol itself looks to be in beautiful condition. It only has the eagle marks on frame and slide but nothing else. I don’t know much about these pistols or anything about what I have. Serial # 473897

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wasn't sure if I should start new thread on serial number question or add to this one.... I purchased a 38H from a fellow collector who is also on the forum so you may already have my serial number. It is 340790 and not military or police proofed. Just eagle N's. In reading the s/n thread I believe it falls into September 1942. There are few numbers close to mine listed as army and police. Is it odd for my private purchase example to be amongst military and police contracts? Thank you Joe.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts