Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. A couple of years ago I picked up an interesting police marked Sauer Behorden. It came with two unmarked Behorden magazines. It is marked with the Diamond in Sunburst. What is interesting to me is that it would be the earliest such example when compared to the serial number listing for Behordens found on pp. 207-208 of Volume I of Cate's and Van Gijn's book on Sauer pistols, or in the listing in Volume II, pp.198-202. In viewing that listing one sees there is no overlap of the the two police markings. The Sunburst K marking as listed runs through SN 214833 and the next police pistol starts the Diamond in Sunburst markings. The pistol I have is SN 213947 and so, apparently, would demonstrate some overlap of the two police markings. One of the pistols listed by the authors as a Sunburst K also overlaps, as it is illustrated on p. 180 of Volume I and is really a Diamond in Sunburst. Any comments on this apparent slight overlap of the two types of police markings?

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi Bill,

most interesting pistol! Congratulations.

Yes, you are right, it’s the lowest noted sunburst/diamond Sauer Behördenmodell. In a SN range, where you except a sunburst/K acceptance.

I have no explanation for it. #213944 is a sunburst/K, as is #214190. The earliest sunburst/diamond in the 214xxx SN range is currently #214348. 214568, 214637 and 214787 also are sunburst/diamond.

Obviously, there was an overlap, we were not aware of when volume II was printed.

Regards

Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your reply, and I apologize for not crediting you as one of the co-authors of Volume II. I was aware of the serial number range anomaly before I purchased the pistol but never doubted the police proofmark and had planned to post the above question a couple of years ago. Just took a little longer!

With an overlap established, the implication to me is that the proofing might have been done at different locations. Otherwise, it seems a little un-Germanlike to have this untidy overlap. Just a thought.

Have a couple German friends visiting Maine as usual this summer. He is from Bamberg and she is from Oldenburg. She'll be tickled to hear that my forum reply came from Niedersachsen.

Thanks very much for your confirming reply,

Bill

·
2,358 Posts
Hi Bill, As I told Martin in an email, it is possible that a few of these pistols sat 'on the bench' for whatever reason before being police accepted with the K or the Diamond. The police acceptance marks appear to be under the blueing, but that is debateable I know. I believe the acceptance markings were applied before blueing, but that's just my opionion. If true, then it was an "in house" process and the pistols were later shipped to Berlin for distribution or whatever. Unfortunately we will never have all the answers, but the more information we have helps all of us to be very interested in our hobby. Congratulations on a very nice find. I have had my 'Diamond in the Sunburst' Behörden for many, many years and have seen only a couple since then. Note that some of these, like the "K" accepted pistols, have police numbered magazines also. Regards, Jim Cate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Jim,

Thank you also for your reply. I would agree with you that the police proofmark appears to be under the bluing, weakening the argument that the proofing was done at some other different location than the earlier "K" proofed pistols. Excellent point! And yes, these Diamond-in-Sunburst are scarce! I see from the listing that only a dozen or so have surfaced. I don't expect to ever come across another.

Thanks again for your input,

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings All,

I was referred here because I asked about the Behorden Modell on another forum. I have a WWII bringback that my father liberated while serving in Berlin. Any added information would be great.

·
2,358 Posts
Hi JSRIII....The Behörden pistols' serial number range begins at 200,000 except for some earlier prototype examples. Yours is a example of one of the earliest. I have an example that is numbered 200,446 and is typically a normal commerical Behörden. There are also a couple of known police gripstrap marked examples in the very early range. So it is possible that yours was a 'private purchased' example for someone who qualified according to the 'rules and regulations,' or perhaps it was utilized by an unmarked police department. I still wish they could talk!! JIM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts