Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
After a few more trips to the range I have now ended up with slightly more powder below the Lapua Mega bullet. 45,7 grains of N135 gets me spot on at 100 meters. I have spent a couple of mornings stalking moose and deer with the M30 now. So far no luck with that but at least I got myself a nice and "fat" mallard yesterday. My first bag with the drilling!

Pontus

·
Registered
17 Posts
I promised you some proper pictures once my restoration is ready. The stock will still need some more oil for proper surface to be formed but I'm going slow and using linseed oil. Otherwise there shouldn't be any more work needed now.​

First an overview.
M30_01.JPG

Then a closeup of the repaired neck.
M30_02.JPG

The left side of the receiver isn't pretty but it works.
M30_03.JPG M30_04.JPG
M30_05.JPG M30_06.JPG
M30_07.JPG M30_08.JPG

And then what's left of the eagle.
Not much but enough.
M30_09.JPG

And what you see when she
hangs folded on your arm...
M30_10.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you very much for your detailed pictures of your M30 Sauer drilling. It is very good to see that all of your time and hard work has paid off to keep the drilling in use and in the hands of some one who knows it's history. I ,for one, found your information on this Luftwaffe M30 sauer drilling very interesting and enjoyable .

·
2,360 Posts
Noted over/under Luftwaffe Sauer today; serial number 286678, 12 gauge naturally, having the Luft eagle on the right side of the top barrel and on the right side of the buttstock. It's not a Luftwaffe accepted Drilling! It's an over/under that was used to train pilots and anti-aircraft personnel how to lead a target and hit it! This type of training was done from 1933 onward at different locations including skeet/trap clubs. Regards, JIM

·
Registered
1 Posts
At present I have more than 100 of the Model 30 Sauer Luftwaffe accepted guns in my database. I wouldn't call them 'rare,' but definitely would consider them scarce! Regards, Jim Cate
Please, can you help me?
I got a drilling Sauer in 12 gauge and 9,3*74R. With a rifflescope Zeiss 2,5-10*42
Drilling is inscribed "Luftwaffen drilling M30" above the barrels
Rifflescope is written""luftwaffen drillin Mo 1036"
It looks as the old war modell, but as new....

What do you think:
Is it a special modern commercial modell made by Sauer after the war, as a commemorative...?
Is it an old gun, recently rebuilt after an old piece?

Thanks in advance for your help

Georges

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hi, Georges:
Original Luftwaffe drillings did not have such writing on them.
What is the serial number?
Does it have Luftwaffe eagle impressed on the right side of the butt stock and on the right barrel chamber?
Pictures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the variable Zeiss is obviously not original. Could ofcourse be an original that has been put to proper use later on with the addition of a scope. The owner might have had the bad taste to put engravings on both the gun itself and the riflescop, but I'd say you'd have to be pretty crazy to do so if you actually knew the history of the gun. My guess is that you have modern Sauer that someone has been trying to "pimp" into resembling a LW drilling.

Start by determining the age of your barrels. Does it say Sauer or JP Sauer & Sohn, Suhl ? If it's old then you WILL have proof marks and dating stamps that says when the barrels were made. If it dates right, then you can start considering if it actually was delivered to the LW. If so, then it is at least my firm belief that you will have the little LW acceptance stamp on the bottom of the hidden barrel lug. Take out your barrel and tell us what marks you have on it.

The fact that it looks nice and shiny doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't old. Mine has been re-blued. If the eagles on the side of the barrel and the buttstock are "very visible", then definitely would suspect it being fake. The reasoning is that they would be somewhat worn down if they were there already before a refurbishing job.

Pontus

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMG_2251.jpg Gentlemen, I received today from my father (step), what I believe to be a Commercial M30 in the 12x12x9.3x7.4R. It has no apparent proof marks or stamps. His dad was in the Army and said he picked it up in Germany. It has supposedly never been fired and appears to be in excellent condition. My dad has always kept it wrapped up and put away. Up until today, I had only seen it once maybe twice. I have zero intentions of selling this, but would really like to have an accurate price to insure it. Can any of you assist? I know this thread is seemingly very old, but you guys are very knowledgeable. Jim, after doing a cursory internet search for your book, I could not find a copy. Do you know of any available? Please see photos of this magnificent piece. IMG_2246.jpg IMG_2247.jpg IMG_2248.jpg IMG_2249.jpg IMG_2250.jpg IMG_2252.jpg

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Judging by the serial number, this drilling was probably made around 1943-1945... The luftwaffe contract guns ran in 334xxx-339xxx serial range, I believe, and were made in 1940-1942 time frame. So the serial number in 344xxx range must have been made towards the end of the war.
If you disassemble the gun and remove the barrels from the receiver, you should see a 3 or 4 digit date stamped under the chambers - for example: 844 would be August of 1944....
Beautiful condition gun!

·
2,360 Posts
Take the barrels off of the receiver to determine the Proof House date. From my database I would have to say the Proof House date would be 10/44. Currently the value of your mint Sauer Model 30 commercial Drilling is $6000-7000. If it was a Luftwaffe example (without its aluminum case and accessories) it would probably sell for around $15000 to 17000. The mystique of being a Luftwaffe accepted example adds very, very much. There are no books available unless you stumble on one at a gunshow, ebay or Gunbroker. Stay well, Jim Cate

·
2,360 Posts
Luftwaffe Drillings

Take the barrels off of the receiver to determine the Proof House date. From my database I would have to say the Proof House date would be 10/44. Currently the value of your mint Sauer Model 30 commercial Drilling is $6000-7000. If it was a Luftwaffe example (without its aluminum case and accessories) it would probably sell for around $15000 to 17000. The mystique of being a Luftwaffe accepted example adds very, very much. There are no books available unless you stumble on one at a gunshow, ebay or Gunbroker. Stay well, Jim Cate
Update: I have recorded several Luftwaffe Drillings since last December. Should you own one or have the opportunity to examine one, please send me the info so I can record it in my Sauer database. Thanks, JIM

·
2,360 Posts
A new number for my database is the Sauer Luftwaffe Drilling, 337638, proof-house dated, 4/42, as noted on the Legacy website...with original case also Luftwaffe accepted. JIM

·
2,360 Posts
Another newly found Luftwaffe accepted Sauer Drilling has surfaced: 338368. A near mint condition example. Please let me know if you see others and do record their serial numbers. It is proofhouse dated 10/42 Thanks, JIM

·
2,360 Posts
As noted earlier in the discussion of the Luftwaffe Drillings:
I have more than 100 of the Luftwaffe accepted Sauers in my database.
Regards, JIM

41 - 60 of 61 Posts