Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this Sauer Model 1913 in caliber 7,65mm while back at the SOS in Louisville last week. The collector I purchased it from said he acquired it out of an estate sale and that it had belonged to a retired Army officer a colonel or a general (can't remember which) Birdwell who had been a commander with the Army 101st Airborne from Fort Campbell. I will have to do some research when I get a chance.

This M1913 is an extremely nice condition specimen. It is all matching and I did not see any rust, corrosion/frosting inside or out when I broke it down. The barrel bore is in near new looking condition. I don't think this pistol has seen much of any use during its lifetime. The fit and finish of the metal parts is of the highest quality. The high polish blue/black finish is absolutely beautiful.

This pistol called out to me when I walked by the collector/seller's display. The razor blue finish of the safety lever was like a beacon flashing at me when I spotted it. I am pleased to add it to my collection. I will now be looking for a model 1930--I have a Behorden model but not in the fine condition of this specimen.

Download Attachment: Sauer M1913 Left Side.jpg
84.51KB

Download Attachment: Sauer M1913 Right Side.jpg
83.76KB

Download Attachment: Sauer M1913 Parts.jpg
89.39KB

Download Attachment: Sauer M1913 Serial & Safety Lever.jpg
76.85KB

Download Attachment: Sauer M1913 Top of Slide Markings.jpg
30.01KB

·
Registered
111 Posts
HI LLOYD
I have #51487. On the oposite side of the serial number there is a german acceptance stamp below a crown/N, which is a commercial mark. Yours is a commercial issue but probably an german officer purchase during WWI.
Darrell

PS I think that this pistol has the finest tooling of all the German secondary pistols of WWI.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill,

Thanks for the nice compliment and I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. A lot of the fun in finding and acquiring these vintage pistols is in sharing them with other collectors. It is a wonderful little pistol that I am pleased to add to my collection. I just can't get over how well made it is. The fit and finish is just something special.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congratulations Lloyd,

really I must admit I am jealous - a Sauer 1913 in such a good condition is not available anymore here in Germany, it really looks like it left the factory yesterday.

Make sure it stays like this and touch it only with cotton gloves,
wow, I wish I hadn´t seen these pics - now there is something to dream of...

Greetings, Andy

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy,

Thank you very much for the nice compliment on this Sauer Model 1913. I was quite shocked to find one in this kind of condition. It literally was like a bright beakon among all the other myriad of pistols available for sale at the SOS show. I got it the second day of the show--I was surprised it lasted that long as the condition and price were both exceptional. I would sure like to find a Model 1930 or Berhorden 1930 in this kind of condition. Yes, I will certainly handle this one very carefully. I pull it out of the safe regularly to admire the condition and the razor blue! This one certainly testifies to the excellence of "old world" pistol craftmanship.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This 1913 just showed up in Europe and my buddy got it for cheap!

Orv

Download Attachment: 1913.jpg
196.35KB

Orvel L. Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593-0067
360-245-3492
360-245-3702 Fax
360-520-6520 Cel
[email protected]

quote........ A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child at play -- Friedrich Nietzsche

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Orv,

That is an early variation M1913 with the extra magazine safety button, the old style rear sight (before the rear sight acting as a cocking knob retainer was introduced) and the original old style diamond grip pattern.

Does this pistol have an Imperial Eagle or Crown/letter military acceptance stamp?

Very interesting early M1913--THANKS for posting pictures of this rare early pistol!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am told it has the old type rear sight and only commercial proofing.

Orv

Orvel L. Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593-0067
360-245-3492
360-245-3702 Fax
360-520-6520 Cel
[email protected]

quote........ If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance. -- Orville Wright

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.