Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aquired this Sauer & Sohn 38H Rig, comes with wooden Grips (never seen before). Holster unmarked.
E/37 #341918

Comments are welcome.
Karl

·
Registered
245 Posts
Noisivid.3,

A picture of the inside of the grips might shed light on their origin. They don't look factory to me as there are several checkering over runs into the borders. Not Sauer quality in my opinion.

Geo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The fit of the right side grip, at the top / rear seems off. Sloping rearward. Could the grips have been original to another Pistol and cut down to fit your 38(H)? Regardless, they look nice as does the pistol!

JGW

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fit of the right side grip, at the top / rear seems off. Sloping rearward. Could the grips have been original to another Pistol and cut down to fit your 38(H)? Regardless, they look nice as does the pistol!

JGW
Maybe it was not in right position!
As far as I know the 38H comes from an old man and I don't believe he changes the grips !

Karl

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sauer 38's would never of had wood grips from the factory. They were phenolic and the composition changed during the course of the war. Later war grips have not weathered the years well and are very fragile. I suspect yours broke and they were upgraded to the wood grips it now sports.

Jeff

·
2,468 Posts
jsz is correct. Sauer did not use wooden grips on normal production pistols. I know of several pistols in the prototype range that have wooden grips. At one time before after-market grips were available grips were being made of clear plastic, wood, and even lead...yes, lead. A nice grip was used to make a mold and then the lead was poured into it.
Then the inside was usually cut out with some type of cutting device...perhaps a Dremel tool. Your holster could have been for a CZ 27, Walther PPK, or even a Sauer. It is the type of holster that would accommodate several different pistols. Regards, Jim Cate, author of the Sauer reference books.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
too bad they didn't make all their grips out of wood. The originals break so easily especially the later made ones. Or maybe not wood but just even a better composite. Trying to find a replacement set of original grips is next to impossible but they do show up from time to time.

·
2,468 Posts
Yoebuff, try to find the individual who gets to purchase all the parts from 'crime' pistols in your locality. I have found two sets of nice Sauer grips by that manner. Best, Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts