Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice job Douglas! Do you have to deactivate the machine guns?

Reactions: Douglas_Jr

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Nice job Douglas! Do you have to deactivate the machine guns?
No more criminal deactivation as long as we are working there!
That was a major concern during the donation proceedings. I made it clear several times that the donated guns should be delivered in working condition.
When a gun is put for public display, it is temporarily deactivated by removing only the internal parts enough to be rendered not ready to be fired (such as firing pin, bolt or recoil springs). A lot of effort is put to make on the guns displayed to make them look real and correct (and not "handicapped"), while in non-functional condition.
The removed parts are then locked away, after being identified and linked to the gun. So, they all can be easily reverted to the original condition. By doing so, we comply with the local law without damaging the firearms.

I am serious when I am saying that we are mavericks: we will try to keep them as they left the factory, contrary to other institutions that simply destroy them by welding the bolts, doing holes in the barrel or cutting receivers. This is important when we think that their working mechanism can be subject of study by someone in the future. We are even planning to make some videos showing these historical firearms and make them available at the Museum Youtube and Instagram accounts.

Douglas.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Douglas thank you for all your diligent to make this happen and all your hard work to make it all presentable for the Museum.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

Reactions: Douglas_Jr

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll just add to all the accolades already posted. Great job and keep it up. Educating people about firearms removes the fear and mystery surrounding them. Glad your son is helping, too.

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
Douglas, as a retired Military Policeman, your above story was outstanding to me. Question, did they all have to learn english, or where were they stationed (will re-read it above)

Ed

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,132 Posts
Douglas, as a retired Military Policeman, your above story was outstanding to me. Question, did they all have to learn english, or where were they stationed (will re-read it above)

Ed
Douglas... Thanks for sharing and the very good work you are doing...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts