Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents, As I dig through all my formerly stored collection items, I just came across an an excellent condition 1944 proofed ( gmo4 ) Black, Hardshell P.38 Holster. I've had this for at least 30 years now, probably closer to 40. IIRC, I o my bought it because of t he condition, & due to it being of Hard shell construction, which if I recall, by 1944 they had almost ceased production of the Hard types & focused primarily on the Softshell versions. And, yes as soon as my new Cell is set up, I plan on Posting numerous photos, as I realize that they are the only way for everyone to get an idea of what we're dealing with. However, for the moment, please accept my condition description, as I can assure you that this example is definitely above average++. It's the basic Hard style, fully & properly marked on the Reverse, & truly appears to have seen very limited use. If anyone has an idea as to its approximate value these days, I'd appreciate hearing from them. THANKS

Best, Dom P.

·
Administrator
14,259 Posts
I would think at least $300 and as condition rises, someone is willing to pay more.
But I'd expect between $300 and $400

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS Ed, That's honestly in the range I was thinking. As soon as I can I'll get some photos up. As I no longer have any WW2 era P.38's, it may get either sold or perhaps traded. My 1963 Berlin Polizei marked P.1 came with it's former issue Holster, & the above example wouldn't be correct anyway. Take care,

Dom

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dom,
I'm not a holster collector, but I do collect P38's. I would tell you there are many things that go into the value of a WWII P38 holster. Originality is first. Is the threading white or has it been touched up with dye...straps, condition of the leather, color (brown ones typically bring much more money). Maker? There are some P38 holsters made in Poland later in the war that bring big dollars.

Again, I don't collect them, but there are a number of things that could make the difference between a $300 holster and a $1000 holster. I know that P38 holsters were largely softshell as you indicated by 1944, but...you never know. Mint holsters are mint holsters and if it is original and hasn't been monkeyed with it will bring at least $350-400 if not significantly more.

Here is a link, albeit an older one, to a listing of P38 holsters. It is not all inclusive, but it does identify some of the rarer holster manufacturers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU Dan, very much, I appreciate your input. I just happened across it earlier today, & I'll give it a thorough examination later on, & felt my findings back here in the morning. Take care,

Best, Dom P.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Dan, You made me curious as the details of this rig, so I just give it a quick review. 1st, it is all white stitching, where appropriate course. It had probably been used, however not very much, & remains in what I fee, as a fellow collector, beautiful condition.

THE MARKINGS ON THE REVERSE ARE AS FOLLOWS;

P.38 ~ gmo 4 ~ WaA 204 ~ 070655/0013

The little dashes [ ~ ] are just to seperate the mkgs. Now they're not of course in that specific order, as they appear on the Holster, but that's what's observed on the back. Hopefully those will give you a little better idea. Hopefully, photos coming soon !

Best, Dom

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK Dan, You made me curious as the details of this rig, so I just give it a quick review. 1st, it is all white stitching, where appropriate course. It had probably been used, however not very much, & remains in what I fee, as a fellow collector, beautiful condition.

THE MARKINGS ON THE REVERSE ARE AS FOLLOWS;

P.38 ~ gmo 4 ~ WaA 204 ~ 070655/0013

The little dashes [ ~ ] are just to seperate the mkgs. Now they're not of course in that specific order, as they appear on the Holster, but that's what's observed on the back. Hopefully those will give you a little better idea. Hopefully, photos coming soon !

Best, Dom
Hi Dom ,
Typically I’ve seen 070655/0013 or similar on police holsters

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Gents, As I dig through all my formerly stored collection items, I just came across an an excellent condition 1944 proofed ( gmo4 ) Black, Hardshell P.38 Holster. I've had this for at least 30 years now, probably closer to 40. IIRC, I o my bought it because of t he condition, & due to it being of Hard shell construction, which if I recall, by 1944 they had almost ceased production of the Hard types & focused primarily on the Softshell versions. And, yes as soon as my new Cell is set up, I plan on Posting numerous photos, as I realize that they are the only way for everyone to get an idea of what we're dealing with. However, for the moment, please accept my condition description, as I can assure you that this example is definitely above average++. It's the basic Hard style, fully & properly marked on the Reverse, & truly appears to have seen very limited use. If anyone has an idea as to its approximate value these days, I'd appreciate hearing from them. THANKS

Best, Dom P.
Hi, When and if you wish to sell or trade, I have plenty of Luger mags and parts i would happly trade! Let me know at [email protected] .... best to you, til....lat'r....GT

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Here's my gmo4 holster.
It has both WaA and rbn numbers like yours .
Mine has never had a belt in it .
Has had a gun in it as there are some tell-tale marks.
Had it for over 30 years and finally acquired a P.38 to go with it .
Gun is 1943 but I like the serial # . cyq 7777a .

Have had serious P.38 collectors try to seperate me from it but it is staying here .
They told me a 44 hardshell with both WaA and rbn numbers is very rare .

Some offers on it were pretty high but it is nice and I figure it is not replaceable so it stays .

Good luck with yours .

Dave

Brown Bag Material property Beauty Electric blue
Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Bicycle saddle Font Metal

·
Administrator
14,259 Posts
Looks new Dave, well done

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
THANK YOU Guys, so very much ! IMHO, interactions such as these as perhaps the first & foremost reason why our forums exist. As we all are aware, 'our somewhat peculiar' interests & pursuits tend to be unique to us. My Friends in work simply couldn't comprehend why I would get so excited over obtaining a particular magazine, loading tool, & or any other item we've been seeking. ( Not even touching upon why in the world we would pay the prices we pay for an 75 year old leather holster or similar item ? )

And Dave, Your P.38 Rig as shown above is an identical duplicate of mine, except your example is even in somewhat better condition than mine, although mine is indeed extremely nice. I can't wait to start getting some photos up, but I can't see using my old Cell, which is, 'wait for it', an '5-S' !! Ummmm, yes, you read it right. I have a 12 just waiting to be set up, & then will Post everything up. THANKS AGAIN to everyone who so kindly replied to my query, your input is deeply appreciated.

Best, Dom P.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts