Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1918 Erfurt P08 that I am having difficulty deciphering the letter following the serial number. I think that the old German script was used. I have tried the various web sights but none seem to be exactly like the one on the gun. I think it is a q but am not sure. Is there a publication or any way to find what these letters should look like on these P08's?
Thank you for any help provided.
Bernie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ed, thank you for your help. I opened up your link but didn't see the letter I was looking for so I took a couple of pictures which I will try and post.

Download Attachment: picture_0193reich.jpg
9.56 KB

Download Attachment: picture_0194reich.jpg
14.54 KB

ADMIN, I cropped the photos and loaded them on this server, John says he doesn't mind, but I hate to use his bandwidth. Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Looks like "q" (Q) to me. Erfurt made enough pieces in 1918 to get to this suffix (175,000) although according to page 15 of Jan's Imperial Luger, this suffix (at the time of publication) appeared not to be definitely authenticated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you have access to a copy of "The Navy Luger" by Joachim Gortz and John Walter,on page 6 there is a chart of classical German handwriting, both upper and lower case letters. This may help in identifying the suffix.

Charles

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I had a copy of the two books. I am new to collecting pre WW2 items, most of my books are on German WW2 guns and none of them show these early fonts. But, at least now I know where to look. Maybe someone will post a scan of the page, I'm sure that will help some other collectors that may also need the information.
I really appreciate all the help, this is a great forum.
Bernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.