Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my C96 Red 9, and my Bolo to the range this weekend.
Have absolutely no experience with the C96. Need some help.

Here's a link to the Red 9:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Mauser-C96-Red-9-1920-Reichswehr-6x100px.jpg

Here's a link to the Bolo:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos/FV-Mauser-C96-Bolo-1930-5x100px.jpg

1. What should I inspect on the C96 re. the slide/bolt breaking loose and knocking my block off. Seems that I've seen some postings somewhere warning about this.

2. Red 9 ammo: Any 9mm para? or is modern 9mm too hot?

3. Loading Red 9: Do I need a stripper clip?
If yes, where can I get one of these clips?
Can I load it without the stripper?

4. Bolo ammo: What ammo should I use?
Can I load it without the stripper?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Pancho,

I read somewhere that is not recomended to fire WWI-era guns because the differences related with the gunpowder - which is much more poweful now than in 1916. Besides that the steel tends to suffer from a "molecular distress" (I´m not a cientist, sorry) that become the gun more fragile at high pressures. This was what I read...

Anyway, I would check the extractor and the recoil spring at first. The former is not so robust, as the Lugers.

I never tried to load my Brooms withouth the clip, but they are easily found as the market is plenty of Chinese modern repro´s (at $10.00 or something). You can use them both to 9mm and the 7,63mm since the cartridge´s bases are the same.

Hope it helps you.

Douglas.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Pancho,

I have a mis matched, refinished, reworked, Red Nine that I purchased at one of the local shows several year ago. I shoot factory fresh 9mm, American Eagle 124 grain. You can load it with out the stripper clip but it is a bit more of a PIA.

All I did was make sure the gun had been cleaned and lubed and none of the working parts were damaged before I fired it.

I really like shooting this one, almost as much as my 1939 date, "shooter" Russian reworked Luger.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.