Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I compared this Simson to Jan's serial no. 28.
I will describe it to the best of my ability as I don't have camera capability.

Serial no. 187, 95% finish.
Straw colored parts: takedown lever, trigger, ejector, mag. catch are 95%.
All Simson Eagle/6 proofs & acceptance stamps are the same & in the same locations.

Differences:
No Eagle/6 stamped on grip screws (I assume not original screws).
Grips non-matching to 187 & no Eagle/6 (Not original grips).
Magazine has Eagle/6 with no serial no. (I don't know).

Now for the best part:
The serial no. 187 on the left side of the receiver has an 'X' stamped to the right
of the 7 and is larger than the 187 characters.
No evidence of anything stamped under the 'X' and no remnants of anything.

Does anyone have any feedback or could possibly give me any information on the
magazine & 'X' stamping on the receiver or possibly any other information on this Simson.
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Bill.... Does the mag look like the serial number could have been removed??? I see a lot of mags that came out of Russia or easter block countries that seem to be like that. One guy on ebay has them all the time. The "X" could also indicate that it is a recent import.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave
There is no evidence of the serial number being removed from the magazine.
The surface has no irregularities at all and is still perfectly contoured.

Your 'X' assumption is plausible due to the fact that I purchased it from a dealer
who had approximately over 50 Lugers for sale on the counter top in his store.
All of them that I observed were mis-matched parts Lugers.

I purchased it over 5 years ago and recently purchased an additional Eagle/6 #3919 magazine.
Which magazine would be more proper for this Simson.
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Bill.... I have 5 Simson mags:
2014 --matching blank chamber gun
1117a+ --Top E/6 overstamped with police"1"
1371a+
1703a

All have (or had) 2 E/6 on base and one E/6 on spine. Not really sure what that means. Would like to see a picture of the single E/6 bottom. Have never seen that.... The lack of the E/6 on spine of the one with 2 E/6 on base might indicate bottom was put in different body at some point in time. Check the button. The checkering on all five of mine is finer than on Mauser mags. Based on the VERY limited info I have I guess I think there should be the stamp on the spine but what the heck do I know????

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Bill....... It would sure help if some of the other troops would check their mags and post what they find. I checked Jan's WEIMAR LUGERS and found lots of good stuff but didn't find anything relative to this topic. I sure wouldn't chip anything in stone based on my tiny sample. The good news/bad news is that they really didn't make very many and I have never found a real in depth study about them the way that Randall Gibson did with HK Lugers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well I can't call this my Simson anymore as Ed Tinker has bought it from me, and I hope it will be a nice pick-me-up for him when I get it to him at the Reno show in a few weeks, I sure he could use a boost right about now....anyway the Simson clip is SN#4735, "x" for spare and two E/6's. Yes checkering on the button is very fine, finer then Mauser types, small E/6 on lower back of mag...hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

I have two Simson mags one for each of my Simson Lugers. Both are blank chamber no suffix models. The first SN# 4865 with clip #6719; two E/6 on base no E/6 on the spine, course checkered follower knob. The second is SN# 6069 unit marked A.S.434. clip # 5143 two E/6 on base E/6 on spine fine checkered follower knob. It is not obvious that 6719 has had the mag body replaced, but there is a definite difference in the follower knob checkering.

Hope the info helps,
Bob M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To all us Simson "nuts"-
I have four Simsons, with Simson magazines. All magazines are first, nickeled bodies and aluminum bases. The markings are:
With a 1926-dated gun: One E/6 on base of magazine, plus S/N ('5495');
no mark on spine and does not match gun. Coarse checkering on button.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oops! Hit wrong key! To continue:

With a blank-chamber gun: two E/6's on base, plus S/N ('9241'), plus an upper-case "S" by one E/6. On spine-- an E/6, and another upper-case "S"! Coarse checkering; S/N is matched to gun.

With an S-toggle gun: two E/6's on base, plus S/N ('1103') plus "+". On spine- one E/6. Fine checkering; S/N matches gun except that gun is S/N '1103 a', and mag. has no suffix letter.

With another S-toggle gun: two E/6's on base, plus S/N ('1654') plus "+". On spine- one E/6. Fine checkering; S/N does not match gun.

Hope this is interesting-- the more I look into Simsons, the more questions come up! Perhaps the magazines with just one E/6 were originally spares, and armory-numbered when issued. But what about the "S" on the magazine for my blank chamber-- any ideas?

Graham

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Graham...... Thanks for the information. I also have a wood bottom that I was told was an "early" Simson. Pretty sure the bottom had been put in a different body. No E/6 on spine and coarse checking on button. Have never been real sure about this one and would welcome any comments.

Download Attachment: MVC-030S.JPG
34.34KB

Download Attachment: MVC-031S.JPG
31.06KB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dave,
What's on the forward end of the base? An "S"? An "8"? Yours is the first wooden-bottom "Simson" I've seen; or should I say that it is the first wooden-bottom with an E/6 stamp? Because the E/6 is not strictly speaking a Simson ID, is it? It's just the number of the Ordnance inspector or group who accepted the weapon or part. "E/6" could have been assigned elsewhere before 1925, and your mag might predate Simson's foray into full Luger manufacture, in 1925. It would appear from my (limited) knowledge that the Lugers that Simson made from scratch had magazines with aluminum bases (starting w/1925-dated); then again, as you said earlier, what the heck do I know?
Another thought-- maybe some of the WWI weapons that Simson reworked, some double-date and some for the Police, might have had wooden-bottom mags. I do have trouble with the idea that it would have been furnished with gun #2438, which would (I think) have been an undated gun with Simson-marked toggle, probably from the late '20's.
For what it's worth....
Graham

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Graham.....It is an S. Like you, it is the only one I've seen. It just might be one of those things you get to "defend forever"..... Would be nice if 3 or 4 other inmates jumped in here and told me they have one too.........

G

·
Dave
8005 and 1528a both have two Eagle 6's on the base and one on spine. Both have a slightly gold tint to the magazine body that is comparable to the Erfurt magazines. I have a couple dozen more Simson magazines that I use for research. Unfortunately, they are not immediately available and my records do not indicate tint on the body or the presence of a spine Eagle 6. Some have an - S - others have an - S - in a circle, etc.
Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.