Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired this recently. A rare Simson reworked 1917/1920 Weimar Navy Luger. It is in excellent condition with the exception that it is import marked and dipped. So will be a candidate for a "limited" restoration. It's all matching except for the side plate #97 and trigger #18 and magazine.
Download Attachment: LS.jpg
131.46 KB

The proofs , acceptance marks and ser# have been scrubbed and the ser# replaced using pantograph.

Download Attachment: RS.jpg
130.32 KB

The 1920 Weimar property mark has been struck very deeply above the 1917 production date.
Download Attachment: Dates.jpg
58.58 KB

Simson rework proof E/O and U over a 5. The U/5 I cannot find a referrence to. If it is in Costanzo's, I missed it. Does anyone have a referrence to it? Out of approximately 160 Navy reworks reported on pg 204-205 of Still's Weimar Lugers. Only one is a Simson Rework.

Only about 4000 Lugers were in Navy service at the end of the Weimar Era. Of these only approx. 2000 bear N or O property numbers.(Still's Weimar Lugers pg 39.)

Download Attachment: Simson Proof SN.jpg
102.11 KB

The Navy large flange toggle pin has been replaced with a small flange pin. Indication that this is a Navy cannon.

Download Attachment: Toggle Pin.jpg
106.17 KB

Unit marked to the Ostsee Naval Station at Kiel.

Download Attachment: Unit mark.jpg
64.68 KB

If anyone has a souce for a matching sideplate and trigger #83 I am very interested in replacing them. Also would like to obtain a Navy large flange toggle pin.

Thanks, Ron

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Ron
Excellent find and presentation on your 0.1329 1917/1920 Imperial/Weimar/Nazi Navy Luger.
I suspect that your U over 5 may be a poorly stamped or partly scrubbed Su/25, see page 2, and 84 Weimar Lugers.

Your property number 0.1329 indicates that your Luger was property marked just after the 29 DWM's and before the K and G date Navy Lugers.(assuming that property numbers are sequential) see Table 4 page 205 and page 229 Weimar Lugers. Note: 0.1270 is a 29 DWM serial number 9293s, 0.1330 is an 06/20 rework Navy, 0.1363 is a reworked 06 Navy(shown on page 229), 0.1431 is a G date and the first Navy K date is 0.1750.
Jan

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Andy
You said "so no Navy Luger, but normal P08. best regards,Andy"
Note: only 1917 dated Imperial Navy Lugers have a 1917 date applied to the left frame rail. This luger started out as a 1917 dated Navy, not a P.08.
Jan

· Registered
25 Posts
Sorry Jan, i am beginner,dont know about the 1917 stamp, so i only meaned the short barrel is not typical for navy variation. Thanks for correction. As You mentioned a many KM marked pieces in Your researches, have You please exact description of KM property stamping, while i have researched the KM marking on 98k bayonets. Maybe it would be nice compare it together,Thanks and best regards,Andy
my mail address is mailto:[email protected]

· Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jan, Just got back on line. Had one blaster of a thunderstorm this weekend. It fried my computer right through the surge protector.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I have been hoping that a Weimar Navy would turn up. This one kind of fell in my lap. Now I just need to restore it a bit.

Andy, It was,in it's original configuration, a 6" barreled Luger. When it was reworked. They installed a 4" barrel to meet the requirements of the Treaty of Versailles. The Navy acceptance stamps were also removed at this time. And the ser# was etched with a pantograph machine.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.