Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired this Trommel mag to add to my burgeoning collection. It has 'Germany' stamped on the handle, indicating export from there after WW1. It also came with the dust cover, which I've read can be difficult to find. For lesst than $1k, I was very happy with it. Here it is in it's uncleaned condition. It cleaned up much nicer with a bit of fine steel wool and some Ballistol.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part
Dishware Automotive tire Tableware Serveware Rim
Food Rectangle Cocoa solids Cuisine Fashion accessory

· Registered
7,540 Posts
Thanks. I realize this is the more common B/N model, and I keep looking at a Berlin one. Does it seem to anyone else that stuff you really want for your collection magically shows up at Christmas time?
That kind of depends...does Santa know that you have been a good boy? :)

· Registered
354 Posts
Very nice and a great price. I don’t think very many watches these were actually sent back or brought back by doughboys and that most all we see here in the states were the ones that came in via the big importers in the later 1920s-mid 30s. We are fortunate that these came in and were not scrapped. The Bings are the most common as stated but are also interesting as they were made by such a famous toy company. Every owner of a long barrel 08 especially a 1916 and later needs at least one of these as well as a shoulder stock.

· Registered
354 Posts
Having an original dust cover as you do is not trivial. They can be found and are not an extremely high ticket item but if everyone with a drum had to have one they would be four figure items as they are that scarce of a ratio to drums to command that. The MP adaptors seem much more common but I don’t bother with those as they are not Luger related. It used to be that show stopper in book photos or at show displays was a fully tricked out LP08 and or a Luger Carbine. I guess for many tastes change or more likely just go in and out.

· Registered
36 Posts
Nice drum and cover! My question is about the covers. Where there ever any replacement covers for lost or damaged, or were only one per drum ever produced?

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question. Like many accessories destined for front line troops that were designed for handguns, my guess is that whatever number were produced mostly ended up in trenches or left on the battlefield. If they made one for every magazine, they sure are in short supply now. If they made one for every fourth magazine, they sure are in short supply now. After looking at drums for the last 7-8 months, anecdotaly I think I've seen 30 or so drums and maybe 2-3 dust covers.
As Phila alluded to...if they became a highly desired accessory, they'd be several hundred dollars just by themselves. I would not decide on the purchase of a drum based on whether it had a dust cover or not. Yet I certainly watch people purchase pistols just for the magazines/grips/holster, or other accessories.

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,460 Posts
Pretty sure there was a cover for every magazine. Loaded up, the cover serves a purpose to keep the rounds from popping out.

Reactions: Daniel76

· Registered
262 Posts
Pretty sure there was a cover for every magazine. Loaded up, the cover serves a purpose to keep the rounds from popping out.
Hello,
I agree Jerry, according the fact that those TM were delivered by five in P Kasten and the original pic in the LP/TM 08 1917 manual shows those five TM WITH dust cover.
Book Publication Font Paper product Paper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts