Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to aquire a P08 serial 1540a that has no date in the normal place nor manufacturer name or code on the toggle. it does have a police sear safety. the mag is nickel with an aluminium button stamped droop E over 6 in two places with 716 across the middle. i assume it's a sneak that got into police hands at some time. my question is "how to place a value upon this piece" ? regds Schmidt

·
Administrator
15,553 Posts
By condition and condition and It all depends on if it is orginal, or not.

We would need pictures and description of proofs and acceptance and knowing if it is all orginal to even hazard a rough guess on value.

Ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand. But, relative to a another Luger of the same generation ? i.e. equal condition etc....Oh, I should have stated that the gun does have (unit) marks on the front strap....L.E.99. photos will be provided when I get the gun. Schmidt

·
Administrator
15,553 Posts
Markings can or can't make a big difference, also, you are assuming it is a "sneak" which is sometimes hard to judge (although it sounds like one to me also). I see prices from around $900 to a bit more for a "sneak", but start at the "shooter" price of around $500 and go from there. What did you pay for it?

The L.E.99 are probably police markings, I am traveling, so no books with me, plus you said it had a sear safety. Did it ever have a mag safety?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don, the suffix is a "u" not an "a" as i first thought. the gun comes with a police holster + tool. the tool is stamped 92. the holster is stamped L.E.92. and was made by Franz Cobau in 1929. and there is a sort of star bust stamp in a hex shape with a letter "k" in the centre. lastly the mag has a " 1" stamp over the serial number that matches the gun with a gothic stamp under the serial and on the last line down is stamped "99" regds grahame

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Grahame
Your Luger was manufactured by DWM(BKIW)in late 1929 or early 1930 for the Prussian State Police. It is called a 29 DWM. The sunburst K on the 1929 dated police holster is a police stamp. See the post below for the description of another Police 29 DWM. (The 29 DWM is described in word and picture on page 31-34, 40-42 and 146-154, Weimar Lugers)

POLICE 29 DWM, SN 8085t Jan C Still http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=217

Photographs of your 29 DWM and holster would be greatly appreciated.
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ed,

On the right side of the receiver, the last mark before the barrel mark, this Luger has the same markings as mine, only maybe a wee bit clearer. It is download det. 66.94 KB the next to the last picture.

Mike

·
Administrator
15,553 Posts
Some kind of an eagle, but not close enough and the angle makes it hard to see. I don't know when last schmidt signed onto the forum, we might want to send an e-mail directly to him?

ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.