Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
I’ve always lived by the adage, “If you have to ask you can’t afford it”. This is one of the rare exceptions to the rule. I purchased the Kreighoff book and have made my way through trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I have the funds and I’m starting down the window shopping section of the journey. Kreighoffs are not a common piece and finding anywhere that has an abundance to peruse is difficult. I’ve looked at Simpson Ltd and that’s given me an idea of which I would like. Other than boots on the ground trudging through shows, where are some other good hunting grounds?
That’s my concern, Lugers are hard enough let alone specific higher dollar subsets of Lugers. I wanted a Waffenamt Kongsberg and when picked one out eventually I made sure it was a documented example. Obviously there are many well faked examples of those out there too.
That being said, I’m not looking for a documented Kreighoff per say, but something that can be vetted. I’d rather pass on a winner and regret it later than to pounce on junk.
Thanks for the info and yes, the blue book by Gibson. I bought the most recent printing straight from Kreighoff’s website, but I think the last update was 2006 from what I read about it. Unfortunately do not have a spare to take with me, but if you have one you’d like to provide I would be more than happy to oblige ;) … In all seriousness I appreciate the insight. I know just enough to be dangerous to myself. I’m in no hurry so trying to get a lay of the land, it’s a different hunt than any of the other pistols that I’ve searched out. Will definitely loop back through if/when I find something of interest.
Every time you write KrEIghoff instead of KrIEghoff god kills a kitten. Furthermore, the search term Kreighoff will not bring you the result of your desire, you should try again with spelling it correctly.

Krieg is German for War. Kreig is no German word at all.

Sorry for OT, but hurts too much in native speakers eyes, so had to write this :D

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Every time you write KrEIghoff instead of KrIEghoff god kills a kitten. Furthermore, the search term Kreighoff will not bring you the result of your desire, you should try again with spelling it correctly.

Krieg is German for War. Kreig is no German word at all.

Sorry for OT, but hurts too much in native speakers eyes, so had to write this :D
There are so many other ways to do this . Way to encourage a new guy 👏

· Registered
109 Posts
I thought I would do it in a funnier way. I did not intend to offend a new collector. Maybe then the fact that English is not my native language was not the best guidance. I though was actually surprised no one pointed this out, because the incorrect way to spell something is definitely making it tougher to find the object of desire.

· Premium Member
176 Posts
That’s my concern, Lugers are hard enough let alone specific higher dollar subsets of Lugers. I wanted a Waffenamt Kongsberg and when picked one out eventually I made sure it was a documented example. Obviously there are many well faked examples of those out there too.
That being said, I’m not looking for a documented Kreighoff per say, but something that can be vetted. I’d rather pass on a winner and regret it later than to pounce on junk.
Many numbers have been reported. Not sure the odds coming out of the woodwork.

· Registered
109 Posts
The German "ie", which by the way is quite common atop, is unnatural to other languages and non-native speakers have trouble to even pronounce it. They often misread the "ie" as "ei" and once remembered this way ...

It is easier, if you remember the first part of the company/family name is "Krieg". This is the German word for "war". Try to properly pronounce this, and once you can, simply add "hoff" to it.

PS: help making the collecting world more correct by telling this dealer the next time he spelled it incorrectly. I'm sure he will be surprised to find out that all of his life he had spelled that company name incorrectly!

· Registered
196 Posts
As an English speaker trying to learn German I was told when the two vowels "e and i" appeared together the second vowel said its own name.

Jack

Reactions: Mac Cat

· Super Moderator
5,626 Posts
ei is mostly pronounced as 'aye'. For example in 'Keitel'. Phonetically as Kayetel.

ie in Krieghoff is pronounced as 'ee' like in beer. Phonetically as Kreekhoff.

· Registered
109 Posts
ie in Krieghoff is pronounced as 'ee' like in beer. Phonetically as Kreekhoff.
We are getting very deep into something OT, but actually you could pronounce the "Krieg" in "Krieghoff" two ways - either long, as you'd say "Krieg" and simply add the "hoff", or you could even pronounce it short, so that in spoken German it would be said something like "Krighoff". There is no real correct or wrong since it would depend upon who the carrier of the name wants to be called.

Consensus should be though, it is never Kreighoff :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts