Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!
I am a newbie to Lugers. Recently decided to get a good shooter with some historical features present. Got a luger from SOG, but not very happy about what I got. Before sending it back (this is what I will most likely do) I would like to solicit your advice as to what would be a fair price on a pistol like the one I got. Here is the description: it is refinished, only barrel and receiver are matching, everything else is mismatched, 1940-dated, S/42 on the toggle assembly, Waffenamt 655 eagles intact, some pitting on the outside was reblued, so no rust now, black plastic gripsm, the bore is more or less shiny, grooves are strong, but some pitting is visible.
Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Considering that some guys are getting all matching guns in Excellent (apart from reblue and ugly dot-matrix billboard) from SOG, yours sounds like a real dog. I'd send it back for sure. More so if you paid handpick and still got shafted.

For what they want, you could get a nearly matching non-Centuried (I HATE that matrix billboard!) shooter that may or may not be reblued, in the $400-600 range and it'll leave you feeling ALOT less wallet-raped IMHO.

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Hello Alexander, welcome to the forum! So, how do you get Dr. Dewehr from "Alexander Tsygankov"?

The SOG guns are rough, far better to pay a bit mroe and get a nice shooter, or a true low-end collectable that you can shoot.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for a welcome. Dreilinien Gewehr (a Three-line rifle) is the German name for the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifle, which I collect. So, Dr. L. Gewehr is a shortcut for Dreilinien Gewehr. Also, I am a PhD, so I find it funny to have this nick. I've been using it on other forums and decided not to change it.

Thank you for your advice, too. I already arranged with SOG to return it for a refund.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello everyone. I've just got one from SOG myself. for $639 plus the $25 handpick fee I've got me a 1935 G S/42. It looks almost new inside, but on the outside some wear is present (like it was carried for awhile, but not shot much). Brown plastic grips, numbers match, except for the extractor (I think - it's nearly invisible). Mag doesn't match either. Now, bore was rusted and pitted all over. I cleaned the rust, but pitting (although not deep) is present throughout. Rifling is good, I did about 4 inches at 25 yards without trying too hard.

Now, the question is - should I send it back, keep it as it is, or keep it and install a replacement barrel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.