Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter

I've just acquired my first 1916 (M series) / 1920 marked Luger with a Police marking 'S.P.O.A.19'. I've posted on a few forums and general opinion is that this could represent ‘S’ Schutzpolizei (Prussian Police). ‘P.’ Potsdam District. ‘O’ ?. ‘A. Abteilung (Department/Division) .1, However, the 'O' doesn't seem to fit with Postdam, unless it was a sub-district?, any thoughts anyone?

It did have a ‘Schiwy-Sicherung’ fitted and bears the rivet hole. Interestingly, the side-plate has the serial number ‘95’ and ‘take-down lever’ has the number ‘8’ both of which don’t match the frame serial number ‘475’ (’75’). The side-plate’s top does bear scratches that would match the positioning of a Schiwy-Sicherung spring though which could suggest that the side-plate and take-down lever replacement occurred when the safety was fitted around 1933 for Police use. Has anyone seen similar examples that match this theory?

I've posted a few pics to show what I mean.

Regards

IMG_4337.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
nice police luger - went into Austrian service?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Edward. I'm not sure about Austrian Service. It carries a feint Imperial Eagle acceptance mark on the Sear Bar (just visible above the side-plate in above pic), so by this and the two date stamps 1916 / 1920 I assume it was a WWI Army issue that was then refurbished for use by the Weimar Police. Strangely enough the other acceptance marks on the front of the frame have been erased - see pic. It came with a Post-War 2/1001 concealment code marked East German Magazine, and bears a 1950's Birmingham Proof mark on the barrel.

\
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG

·
Registered
192 Posts
Regarding the frontstrap marking, I‘ve gotten the suggestion from an expert on Weimar police in Germany that this was possibly an early stamping and the S.P. actually represents Sicherheitspolizei (security police). This abbreviation was apparently common in Sachsen. In that case the O could also be the city and the A. 19. (Abteilung 19?) the inventory marker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Absalom.

I understand the Sicherheitspolizei were banned in 1920 so it would be an early stamping. This link could place the Luger in Saxony between the wars with the 'O' being 'Osnabrueck district' a British controlled area after WWII. If this is the case, it could suggest that the Luger is a British Soldier souvenir bring-back and explain the Birmingham proof marks on the barrel.

Thanks again for your input, the story on this Luger just gets more interesting all the time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Update:
I’ve received a few more suggestions/discussion items from Germany.
Osnabrück was considered, but not seen as likely since a Sicherheitspolizei seems not to be known and the abbreviation S.P. for Schutzpolizei was not used there (being Prussian territory) either under the 1922 or 1932 regulations.
A more viable possibility is Oldenburg, which until 1933/34 did not fall within Prussian jurisdiction. Someone is trying to check on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help with this Absalom, I'd really appreciate any further info. that comes to light.

In case you're interested, I've just acquired a Mauser Red 9 C96 rework that seems to have a similar Weimar Police conversion/history. It has the 1920 stamp with a shortened barrel and milled-back rear sight, so I'm assuming it was an Imperial Army weapon that was altered to match the Treaty of Versailles requirements before passing into Weimar Police(?) issue. There's also an Eagle stamp close to the barrel, that might suggest some use during WWII? The marking is 'S.Sta.I. 395.' which I've been told on another forum could very probably be a Police one meaning:
’S’ Schutzpolizei
‘Sta.’ Stade district
‘I.’ First Centuria
’395.’ Item 395

IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4474.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts