Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoutout to all who own a Steyr M.1912 pistol which has undergone the 08 conversion - researching the "conversion" of these pistols a bit more I'd kindly request all those who own one (or more) of these pistols to check their guns.

To start with an explanation: owning several of these myself I had always wondered how in particular the barrels with 9x23mm chamber could be converted to 9x19mm, because the lugs on the barrel would still be in the same place, so shortening would not work. Unfortunately there were no documents/manuals/whatever (or at least I had not found them) in Austrian Archives, hence I inspected various pistols and then noticed what seem to be two variants:
  1. Pistols with 08 conversion that still carry the original Steyr factory applied serial on the barrel - this means WITH the letter suffix
  2. Pistols with 08 conversion that have a matching barrel, but NO letter suffix
It appeared to me that the pistols of #1 did NOT have the Eagle N proof on the barrel whereas pistols of #2 did have a Eagle N proof on the barrel. This lead me to the conclusion the ones that were newly manufactured were additionally proof stamped, but those that seem to have been conversions did not get a proof stamp on the barrels. Additionally, when looking in very closeup at the muzzle of various pistols I noticed that for type #1 it seems they all share a many times hardly at all visible ring at the muzzle and at the rear. So actually it looks to me that those which retained the original WWI serial might had been bored out and a new 9x19mm barrel was sleeved in, whereas those which seemed to have been Eagle N proofed and didn't carry a serial with suffix were new produced barrels.

To see if this is only a very particular observation or indeed turns out to be the rule I'd kindly ask anyone who owns a 08 marked Steyr 1912 pistol to check and provide the following information (individually for each gun, in case you have more):
  1. Is your pistol matching numbers? It would be appreciated if you could post the serial, or at least first two digits with the suffix
  2. Is the serial on your barrel:
    • with or without suffix
    • with or without Eagle N firing proof
  3. If your pistol barrel is with suffix, please best under a magnifier check if you can see a circular marking at the muzzle or chamber that could indicate your barrel was sleeved
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! Looking for more. Attached for illustration one of mine which carries the full serial with suffix on the barrel, and one of the muzzle, which makes it obvious to me that it got a feed barrel inserted. It is Eagle L marked along Wn16 on the other side. Excuse the bad picture quality, just did these very quick'n'dirty.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Cylinder Tin Gas Metal Font
Automotive tire Camera accessory Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for posting it. Another Eagle N with newly produced barrel. Interesting to see that so far aside of a handful I know personally no other lined barrels have turned up. Your pistol saw post WWII service at the LandesGendarmerieKommando Kärnten (LGK K marking on lanyard ring), in case you had not known of this.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Dave. I did not know about the post WWII marking you pointed out. Interesting these old war horses were still in service post WWII when you would think so many more modern weapons were available after the war ended. Thank you for that info.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts