Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Weimar, I believe this is one of the Russian capture P-08 pistols. Why would any one take off the lug? I got it from FGS about a year ago.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I don't know and forgot to say WELCOME!

In the US many people ground one off because theu beleived their state law or federal "told them to".

Are there any markings on it, such as H.P. or anything like that?

Can you provide pictures?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take some detailed pictures. It doesn't look like it ever had a lug. There is something strange about the barrel chamber, also. I'll get all the info together with the pictures and post them. Thanks for the help and the welcome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics, If you need close ups of something else, let me know. I remember now I received it from AIM, not FSG. As for the strange chamber, it has a tiny reduction near the case mouth, kind of like the 30 Mauser cartridge. I remember reading somewhere that the early (prototype) barrels had a small step , but that was discontinued right away. There was a drawing along with the article, that looked just like my chamber. You can see it in the fired cases. Doesn’t seem to adversely effect anything. I’ll see if I can find a fired case, and post a pic of it.

Download Attachment: P08 1.jpg
26.01KB

Download Attachment: P08 2.jpg
30.99KB

Download Attachment: P08 3.jpg
34.41KB

Download Attachment: P08 4.jpg
148.7KB

Download Attachment: P08 backstrap.JPG
18.98KB

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I would say this is an East German rearsenal after WW2. So for whatever reason it was cleaned up, reblued after the war, and that is why the stock lug missing looks so nice. See the funny "Star" on the left of the receiver and in several places the "x" (besides the grips are straight from East Germany), I beleive those are signs that it was in East German usage.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
They were made that way by Erfurt to make it easier to install the rear sight for artillery lugers, and Erfurt put them on all of theirs.

Ed

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Texnut

Very nice East German reworked luger, for information purposes only your magazine is forced matched to your luger. Re- the pinned concave aluminum base on the magazine.

Very common for the communists to do this on the reworks so it is correct for your luger.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
yes, I do, that is why a membership is so great. The obvious was oblivious to me!

And personnaly I think the missing stock lug makes a smooth, nice looking gun.

Ed

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
There appear to be chips missing from the front of the breechblock on either side of the extractor. I have seen a 1918 DWM with a similar missing chip. It was speculated that this was a result of firing hotter ammo than these guns were designed for, perhaps 9 mm machine gun ammo. Does anyone have any insights into this or was 1918 a bad year for breechblocks?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Don,
It may well have been a bad year for breechblocks. The hardening process may have gotten tweeked. Or the steel could have been sub-standard. At the end of the war, they were probably cutting corners to increase production.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
Hi,

Most probably it's just the age...I don't think the East-Germans would have refurbished the pistol, leaving the breech block damaged, so I figure the damage occurred not too long ago. Could've been someone firing surplus crap ammo through it. Seen similar VoPo's with breech block damage.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
It is highly unlikely that the stock lug was removed. Much more likely that it never had one and is a typical forced match DDR job. The so called "frame" part, that with the grip area, came from a pre 1914 P08 or other Parabellum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.