Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are photos of a 1917 Artillery with a shoulder stock and drum mag numbered to the gun....The shoulder stock holster is similar to the C96 Stock?......The gun fits perfectly......Could this be original? or post war production?....Thanks

Attachments

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
These (which are really cool) are coming out the last 10 yrs (?) and you can get them from ebay and one of the sellers that has repro holsters at one time.

There was a discussion or two on the forum, a few years ago.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Interesting stock. Doesn't a repo stock have to be a "reasonable facsimile" of the original in order to be able to legally attach it to an artillery luger? Does this legally qualify? Who made these stocks?
Thanks
Tim H.

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
he's in Canada Tim

and that same discussion about USA was on here a few years back. I'd say no, but they are sold here.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Andrei, that's an interesting looking stock in the illustration above. Was it ever put into production? Military or commercial? I've tried to blow it up to get more detail but it doesn't help much.
Thanks!
Tim H.

· Registered
6,351 Posts
The only wooden holster/stock I'm aware of is the prototype like my exact copy made in Germany. I believe there were 50 made and all were numbered 1-50. One sold at an RIA auction for an insane amount of money.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Wood Blade Artifact Fashion accessory Hardwood
Trigger Revolver Bag Air gun Wood

· Registered
465 Posts
Andrei, that's an interesting looking stock in the illustration above. Was it ever put into production? Military or commercial?
According to Gortz/sSurgess book, this is Infanterie-Konstruktionbureau proposal type 1
The only wooden holster/stock I'm aware of is the prototype like my exact copy made in Germany. I believe there were 50 made and all were numbered 1-50. One sold at an RIA auction for an insane amount of money.
And this, still according to Gortz/sSurgess book, this is Infanterie-Konstruktionbureau proposal type 2.

I guess they are both military trials examples withe a handful of each made
For the C96-style version, I have two bad pictures of what i believe to be a genuine stock:

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Wood Tool Wood stain Composite material Household hardware

· Registered
134 Posts
At cmrfirearms. com offers Pakistani quality, which is not nearly as good in shape and size.
The world's best replica, which corresponds to the original in form and size, is here:

· Registered
225 Posts

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did acquire the rig......Here are more photos.....The stock is as well made as a C96 stock...The Luger fits perfectly......The previous owner purchased this rig in 1966....

Attachments

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found this info which may correspond to this stock?

The earliest information that can be found on the solid-body holster stock was written by the late Fred A. Datig in the first 1955 printing of his benchmark, limited printing, special private edition (#780) book on Lugers titled: THE LUGER BOOK (Pistole Parabellum), Copyright © 1955 on page 177 where he states: A very scarce stock is the hollow-holster stock which resembles, to some extent, that used in conjunction with the Mauser Military pistol. As with the Mauser, the Luger holster-stock has a wooden, hinged lid which is held shut by means of a spring loaded catch. Upon pressing the catch, the lid may be opened and the pistol (8 inch barrel) inserted, leaving only the grip of the pistol protruding3. Datig is describing what is now known as an example of late 1920s early 1930s “aftermarket” versions of holster-stocks for the Luger with standard turn-lever attaching irons, similar examples being offered for sale by A.F. Stoeger in their 1929-1930 catalog and 1930/31 winter catalogs. Pictured is the 1928 Stoeger catalog ad with its conspicuous lack of the No. 750 item description of the “Combination wooden stock and holster for the Luger vs. the 1930 Stoeger catalog addition of the No. 750 description, both in the numbered item list to the right and the added paragraph text description to the left, with the initial ad for the Luger holster-stock first appearing in the 1929 Stoeger catalog and last or final ad being in the 1932 Stoeger catalog, apparently not a popular item, discontinued in only four years.

· Registered
5,805 Posts
A lot of hand work went into the OP stock. Picture 27 of 28 shows the interior with traces of modern "spade wood bits" used to drill out round holes and then squared up with a chisel.
Lots of work, but no way period German work, JMHO.
Brown Wood Brick Brickwork Wood stain

Reactions: fasenda1
1 - 20 of 22 Posts