Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I would like to know what kind of finish byf 41/42 Lugers had; I understand all of them were deep black with no strawed parts; is that correct? I ask because Aarron Davis in his "Luger Handbook" writes all the small parts were straw colored, but I have never seen this.
He also says some were marked P08 on the left side, but I believe all of them were; and that "a few" had walnut grips when I understand wood grips were much more common than bakelite ones. What's the truth??
May you have a Happy New Year full of exciting and rare Lugers!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Alvaro
When Garfield (an advanced fellow collector) was confronted by a new collector spouting the mistakes and misinformation in Aarron Davis book, he told the new collector to walk to the nearest garbage can and deposit that book. Garfield usually gives good advice.

May you have GOOD COLLECTING in the new year.
Jan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents,thanks for your kind answers. I suspected long ago Davis' book was no good; I just wanted an expert confirmation. My almost only sources now are Still, Walter, Datig and, to a lesser extent, Kenyon.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Alvaro,

Be cautious of what you find in Datig. Much of what he printed in 1955-58 has proved to be erroneous, and some of his conclusions are (usually clearly noted) speculation, which have not proved out. He did a good job with the information available at the time, but a lot of new data has come to light over the subsequent 45 years.

--Dwight

·
Registered
28 Posts
My byf 42 is all blue.Brought back from Italy in 45 by my brother.I inhereted it,after his death so I know no one has touched it in 60+ yrs.
Grips are wood,I dont think walnut but they will do,all matching.
john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.