Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
I see nothing that would prevent the gun from getting disassembled.

If the receiver is stuck in the frame, not much should be needed to break it free.

Main suspect is still a holdopen that is stuck upwards. Coud be reached through the magazine well from the bottom. But the receiver should slide over it, even when it's stuck.

Perpaps stating the obvious, but you know the upper must be moved to the rear, right?

Try placing a lever between the frame ear and the toggle knob and see if you can get the knob to raise slightly.

Here is one I disassembled years ago. It's doable.

• Love
Reactions: lugerholsterrepair
Discussion starter · #23 ·
There is SOMETHINGdirectly below your side plate that should not be there. Can you shoot a quick pic closeup of the side plate? Maybe it's the photo angle but something about your side plate is weird looking.
Of course the side plate shouldn't have any bearing on the top sliding out of battery though.
Is this a better shot? Uh Picture...

Attachments

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I had a local guy, good with guns but not real familiar with Lugers, look at it and after talking with others he knew he was not able to figure it out. Anyone know a licensed gunsmith (need license so I can legally send it) that I could safely send it to?

Discussion starter · #26 ·
This is an older thread so I may have missed something..Does the top cannon move back out of battery?
This is an older thread so I may have missed something..Does the top cannon move back out of battery?
The pull knobs move back the barrel slightly, maybe 1/2 inch (photos put up earlier) but the back of the mechanism stops when touching the slide and no movement on the slide.

Holding the pistol like you would shoot it by the handle, put the muzzle on a solid surface, table top and PUSH. The top cannon should move back and out of battery. This position should be held and the take down lever can then be swiveled down.
"The pull knobs move back the barrel slightly, maybe 1/2 inch.."This is ALL IT TAKES! the take down lever can then be swiveled down.

I still think the hold open is stuck in the upwards position.

Can the magazine be removed?

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Holding the pistol like you would shoot it by the handle, put the muzzle on a solid surface, table top and PUSH. The top cannon should move back and out of battery. This position should be held and the take down lever can then be swiveled down.
"The pull knobs move back the barrel slightly, maybe 1/2 inch.."This is ALL IT TAKES! the take down lever can then be swiveled down.
Sorry, I meant the firing pin rod moved, not the whole barrel.

The magazine button, when the mag is empty, pushes against an L-shaped lever between the frame and the toggle action.

This lever keeps the toggle open after all rounds are fired.

If the gun was stored with the magazine inserted, it is possible that the holdopen lever is stuck in it's raised position thus blocking the toggle. Normally it would lay flush in its recess at the top of the frame.

Gerben, IMO even if it was stuck in some sort of upward position it would simply be riding under the bolt as it does naturally . To be up high enough to stop the rearward bolt travel the top cannon would have to be farther forward? On my bench pistol I have tried to get the hold open to obstruct rearward movement and I don't see how it could be possible given the position of the bolt as is.
That and given that the toggle rises kills that theory.

Herr Roadking..Holding the pistol like you would shoot it by the handle, put the muzzle on a solid surface, table top and PUSH. The top cannon should move back and out of battery.
IS THERE ANY rearward movement of the barrel and bolt assembly when you perform this?
There are only 3 points that could possibly restrict this rearward movement and I cannot get any of them to stop my bench pistol.
Please report on "IS THERE ANY rearward movement of the barrel and bolt assembly when you perform this?"

Which is the "hold open button",
The hold open is enclosed within the Luger frame and doesn't have a "button". From the picture below you can see the hold open that is circled. The magazine button pushes up on the hold open arm when the last cartridge is fired. That pushes the bar into position to stop the action from closing. The hold open is under tension from a flat spring that releases it to return to it's rest position when tension from the magazine button and the breechblock are removed.

Bumper Gas Electrical wiring Cable Automotive exterior

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Gerben, IMO even if it was stuck in some sort of upward position it would simply be riding under the bolt as it does naturally . To be up high enough to stop the rearward bolt travel the top cannon would have to be farther forward? On my bench pistol I have tried to get the hold open to obstruct rearward movement and I don't see how it could be possible given the position of the bolt as is.
That and given that the toggle rises kills that theory.

Herr Roadking..Holding the pistol like you would shoot it by the handle, put the muzzle on a solid surface, table top and PUSH. The top cannon should move back and out of battery.
IS THERE ANY rearward movement of the barrel and bolt assembly when you perform this?
There are only 3 points that could possibly restrict this rearward movement and I cannot get any of them to stop my bench pistol.
Please report on "IS THERE ANY rearward movement of the barrel and bolt assembly when you perform this?"
No movement when I push on it. :-(

If there is indeed NO movement what so ever..SOMETHING has become lodged between the takedown lever and the lug...In the position you show the bolt..nothing hanging up there. In the rear, the S hook cannot hold it from coming out of battery and the only other item that can possibly cause no rearward movement is the take down lever and the lug. The rearward movement you don't have, moves the space needed to swivel the take down and release the side plate.
The lug on the underside of the Barrel/chamber must be moved back 3/8 of an inch to allow the take down to swivel. It's it a wild guess but perhaps some grease has hardened in this small chamber obstructing rearward movement.
Have you tried any heat? Heat may soften whatever might be pooled/hardened in there. Take the stocks off and place the pistol in the oven at a moderate temp for say 30 minutes. 150 might be high enough.
You MUST be able to kick the top cannon out of battery. Heat is cheap and easy and worth a try.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
If there is indeed NO movement what so ever..SOMETHING has become lodged between the takedown lever and the lug...In the position you show the bolt..nothing hanging up there. In the rear, the S hook cannot hold it from coming out of battery and the only other item that can possibly cause no rearward movement is the take down lever and the lug. The rearward movement you don't have, moves the space needed to swivel the take down and release the side plate.
The lug on the underside of the Barrel/chamber must be moved back 3/8 of an inch to allow the take down to swivel. It's it a wild guess but perhaps some grease has hardened in this small chamber obstructing rearward movement.
Have you tried any heat? Heat may soften whatever might be pooled/hardened in there. Take the stocks off and place the pistol in the oven at a moderate temp for say 30 minutes. 150 might be high enough.
You MUST be able to kick the top cannon out of battery. Heat is cheap and easy and worth a try.
I will give it a try, done everything else... sure is solid in there but hope this is a fix. Thanks again.

Taking awhile to pre heat the oven? Thinking this over a bit..heat might also help if some dried substance from years ago caused an adhesion along the rails. Heat causes metal to expand and oils to melt, could possibly loosen whatever grip has been placed on it.

I am thinking he might need more than 150 degrees.... May be 200-250?
It is not hot enough to anneal the metal, but enough to burn off any dried up stuff...
Given that the gun was not sealed properly for many years and probably exposed to high humidity, may be rust developed between the receiver and the frame...

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Taking awhile to pre heat the oven? Thinking this over a bit..heat might also help if some dried substance from years ago caused an adhesion along the rails. Heat causes metal to expand and oils to melt, could possibly loosen whatever grip has been placed on it.
Caught me in the throws of some home renovation so had to delay the "warm up"... will this weekend for sure!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.