Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently came into possesion of what I've been able to identify as a Military Mauser byf 41 bearing serial # 4558. All #s match except for the side plate, which has 237 stamped on the bottom edge of it. Why would a gun in prety good shape have a mis-matched side plate ? I can't imagine it getting lost while being disassembled. Anyway, the Suffix question- I have what looks like a cursive small "r" stamped below the ser # under the barrel. I haven't seen this make on any of the references. And why are there so many styles of Suffix lettering ? Thanks

Download Attachment: Suffix r.JPG
28.28KB

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
I can answer the sideplate question. It is probably the easiest part to take off (next to the magazine), thus easiest to get lost. Also, when cleaning, I imgaine many GI's german and especially US would just put pieces back together, afterall, US made weapons weren't individually numbered parts like you see with german weapons.

So between time, ignorance and happenstance, it appears that you see this part mismatched more than many others (besides magazines).

I put together a suffix page that is stored on www.lugerforum.com and John Dunkle has allowed me to use his site for everyones edification. This page is a work in progress, and I tried to show suffixes, along with dates and information. I think that with the luger having been made for almost 50 years and assorted manufacturers, it makes sense that the style changed over time?

http://www.lugerforum.com/Suffixes/Suffixes.htm

Ed

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hello
The directives in the german armee when the soldiers will surrender they lost the side plate and so the pistol couldn't be use by other soldiers against the germans

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
Was this an "official" directive or one that was spoken?

Otherwise a rumor or a written directive? If written that would answer many questions?

Ed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,
I must say i find that hard to believe.
If a soldier has time to take off the side-plate and hide it, or throw it away,he may as well throw away the whole pistol.
There does not seem to be any sence in removing the side-plate and reholstering the pistol.....Thats if you are given time to do that......!!
And why would a German soldier care if the allies obtained a few more small arms when they were out numbered and out gunned anyway?

Just does'nt seem to ring true somehow.

Just my £oo.o2p

Regards,

Steve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.