Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Swiss Lugar fold but they do intrigue me....I've purchased two, an 06/18 and an 06/29, dated 1928 and '38 respectively. I am so new the pistols have not arrived yet... one will this coming Tuesday.

The leather strap attached to the pistol, folded and sewn, is, to my eye, to assist in removing the Luger from the deep military issue holster. Folded over 3 times on top of the grip safety for access to the pistol.

Were these straps an issue item? They all look very similar to include the stitching at the far end.

This is also a guess but they are formed in a loop and look large enough for a thru grip similar to a sword knot...and for ski troops that could be a plus altho a lanyard would perform that task too.

Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
You pretty much nailed it. They weren't an issue item but individuals frequently had them added to facilitate removal from the holster and sometimes as a bit of stabilization for firing...that second function was at best dubious. :) Congratulations on acquiring a couple of desirable Swiss Lugers. I am particularly impressed that you referred to the earlier model as an "06/18" instead of the common incorrect designation of "06/24". That gets you an attaboy from me! I usually designate the "06/18" as "06 W+F" or "06 Bern" but I can live with 06/18
Ron

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looked over a half dozen or so Swiss of various vintage an find that near all of the pull up straps differ in construction and or material used to fabricate. Leads me to assume they were fabricated by individuals. Many are P marked so the strap could have been added
after decommissioning of the pistol.
Regards, Neil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response's ... so a personal item added by the owner or soldier to the pistol. I can see that it would aid in drawing the pistol. I am acquiring two correct holsters with the pistols...the shaped early type and the less formed later. It will be interesting to see how necessary those straps might be.

·
Administrator
13,138 Posts
Thanks for the response's ... so a personal item added by the owner or soldier to the pistol. I can see that it would aid in drawing the pistol. I am acquiring two correct holsters with the pistols...the shaped early type and the less formed later. It will be interesting to see how necessary those straps might be.
Jerry Burney on occasion made these for P08's - not needed really bad, as you just grab the pistol, but it makes it easier.
On the other hand, you find a holster "cut-down' in the front by GI's who carried the luger in / after WW2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry Burney on occasion made these for P08's - not needed really bad, as you just grab the pistol, but it makes it easier.
On the other hand, you find a holster "cut-down' in the front by GI's who carried the luger in / after WW2.

I 'suspect' the strap was an assist due to the way the Swiss wore the holster..... in the pictures I've been searching of the military... Ski troops/Cavalry etc....the holster with shoulder strap was worn on the back left hip...over the left buttock. I guess this was to be out of the way of ski polls for a free arm swing. Pulling the holster around to draw the pistol would be enhanced with a strap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts