Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tang well marks are commonly overlooked, if they appear at all, in Walther pistols. I own a first year PP (1930) 752,682 with a stamped crown located on the floor of the tang well behind the hammer. The crown mark is unlike familiar ones in that it is comprised of a circle at its base with three elongated vertical lobes. At the NAPCA convention I, by chance, met someone carrying the identical pistol #752,863! Its mark was somewhat forward under the hammer as if the tool used was at an angle. Although I, and others, have seen an occasional tang well mark on later Walthers, assumed to be inspector's marks, these are usually more abstract symbols. I have been researching various explanations and would invite the experts to weigh in with their viewpoints on both the use of any tang well marks, why this location might have been chosen, and specifically what this 1930 Walther crown mark might mean. Recall that this was the first year of production of any PP (or PPK) model and these guns had a split firing pin.

Walther 062413a 006.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts