Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a following to those rough pistols that symbolize the desperate situation in both Germany and Japan near the end of the war. When the early versions are compared side by side with their late war counterparts, the appearance is shocking.
Almost all military pistols made during the haste of wartime production with show some deterioration when compared to the same pistols made without undo pressure.
Every once in a while, a pistol comes along that starts out rough and never really gets any better!
This is the case with the Chinese copies of the FN-Browning pistols. These pistols started out bad and never got any better!
From what I have learned from some other collectors, these FN Browning 1900 copies were produced by the Nationalist Chinese about the same time as the Broomhandles. Most were produced in .32 Auto. These pistols were used by the Chinese forces and then most probably captured by the Japanese and used by them.
These pistols have been part of war booty for sometime including WW2, Korea and Vietnam.
In general, these pistols were copies of the FN 1900 that was imported into China. The real FN 1900 was a great success on the market and very popular. When the Chinese decided to copy the 1900, very little attention was given to quality, finish or markings. No two are really alike and few are close at all. Some batches may have the same serial number on every pistol!
As a badge of rank to be worn, these copies were perfect. As a weapon, these pistols may leave a lot to be desired! I am one person who will never know how well this pistol shoots…it doesn’t look safe and who knows about the quality of the steel used!
I am sure many of us pass up these “dogs” at the local gunshow, but don’t be too quick to judge their worth. These FN 1900 copies are fantastic historical firearms in the field of gun collecting.
Note the markings! We have "FABRIQUE" stamped multiple times over the Mauser Banner! Under that is a "BERSTAL" double struck! Amazing! As a note, Anthony Vanderlinden states that the original 1900s used for models may have been ones from the German market that had the Mauser trademark stamp added to generate sales.

Download Attachment: CHFN.jpg
109.97 KB
As you can see, the safety markings are SUR for safe and SUR for safe again! Safety first!

Download Attachment: CHNFN1.jpg
115.4 KB

Download Attachment: CHNFN2.jpg
113.58 KB
You think the outside is rough, you should see the working parts! The barrel doesn't have any rifling! No rear sight either!

Download Attachment: CHNFN3.jpg
97.44 KB
Here it is compared to a military issue REAL FN Browning 1900. I hope you have enjoyed this interesting pistol as much as I have.

Download Attachment: FNWCOPY.jpg
91.64KB

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.