Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just saw this book at Amazon, writeen by a Nathan Gorenstein.
Any opinions? Gun inventors biographies are not often seen (I guess Mauro and Vlim's book on Paul Mauser is a rare recent exception).
Personally I found the book's subtitle too close to the Anthony Vanderlinden's FN Pistols book. I wonder if the later is part of the bibliography.
Douglas.
Squad Helmet Military uniform Military person Marines

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My advice is to skip it unless you like fiction. I can go into great lengths about this book, but I need to stay polite and professional.
Silence is Golden in this case...

·
Registered
381 Posts
As Anthony is willing to remain silent - a couple of opinions from Amazon reviews:
"The book is not about his guns. Its about his life. It is totally non technical.<...> It was written for someone who knows next to nothing about firearms. The author has to explain what a "receiver" is. That tells you all you need to know."
"While the book does offer some new information about Browning, it is a rather basic biography. The author does not seem to be that familiar with firearms and that shows when covering the designs of Browning. The various designs are not covered in depth and this is not a book for someone wanting technical details. The first half of the book covers the life of Browning, where as the last half is filled with stories of ww2 combat that while Browning designs were used in the events, don't really add to the Browning story. It seems like the stories were added as filler to increase the page count."

That was enough for me...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My advice is to skip it unless you like fiction. I can go into great lengths about this book, but I need to stay polite and professional.
Silence is Golden in this case...
Anthony, I would like to hear your thoughts about the book, even over PM if you would prefer, especially regarding the information about J.M.B.'s actual life featured in the book.

·
Administrator
14,925 Posts
I read a book years ago on J.M. Browning, and it was split into three sections - early life - older and his guns.

I found it an easy read. And if geared towards a non-collector, that is ok too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts